WASHINGTON (TNND) — The U.S. Army has abruptly canceled the planned deployment of the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, to Poland, halting the overseas movement of more than 4,000 soldiers and their equipment amid growing concerns about Army funding and force posture in Europe.
Army officials confirmed the cancellation on Wednesday, first reported by Army Times, but declined to explain the decision, referring questions to the Defense Department.
The Fort Hood, Texas-based “Black Jack” brigade had been preparing for a nine-month rotation to Poland, where more than 10,000 U.S. troops currently serve on a rotational basis. According to Stars and Stripes, the brigade held a casing ceremony May 1 ahead of the deployment.
Parts of the brigade’s advance echelon already had arrived in Poland, while equipment shipments were reportedly underway when the deployment was called off.
The cancellation comes as lawmakers raise alarms about mounting Army budget pressures. During a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Tuesday, Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island said the Army faces at least a $2 billion budget shortfall tied to extended operational demands, including National Guard missions in Washington, D.C., and support for U.S. border operations.
Reed questioned how the funding gap could affect Army readiness, training and deployments, though the issue was not directly addressed during testimony from Army Secretary Dan Driscoll and Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Christopher LaNeve.
ABC News later reported the Army’s budget deficit could be significantly higher, with officials estimating the shortfall between $4 billion and $6 billion.
The canceled Poland deployment also follows a broader Pentagon effort to reduce the U.S. military footprint in Europe. In April, the Defense Department announced plans to withdraw roughly 5,000 troops from Germany, a move officials said would return troop levels to where they stood before Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine.
Defense Department spokesman Sean Parnell previously said Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth approved the adjustment after reviewing operational requirements and conditions in the region.
The Army and Pentagon have not said whether the canceled Poland rotation is connected to budget concerns, force reductions in Europe or broader strategic changes.