Your support helps us to tell the story
From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.
The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.
Your support makes all the difference.Read more
Four Britons are feared to have been killed in a major wildfire sweeping southern Spain as the death toll rose to 11 on Friday.
More than 150 firefighters were working to bring the blaze under control after it spread rapidly through a wooded area around the town of Los Gallardos in Almería province on Thursday afternoon, officials said.
The flames have already torn through some 3,150 hectares of land in one of the worst forest fires recorded in Spain, and the deadliest in more than 20 years. At least 19 people are still missing, authorities said on Friday.
Andalusia’s head of emergencies, Antonio Sanz, said four people, who appeared to be British as the steering wheel of their car was on the right-hand side, had died in a vehicle while trying to escape.
Seven others were found dead after apparently abandoning their cars and attempting to flee on foot along a route that was not part of the evacuation plan, he said.
“They were walking … they had left their cars and were surely looking for an exit, an exit that was not the one planned … and the consequences have been terrible,” he said.
“Everything seems to indicate that … in the case of the deceased, we are dealing mostly or entirely with foreigners. Until their identities are determined, logically, it cannot be confirmed.”
Mr Sanz said it was “the most devastating fire to date in our region”, describing the situation as an “unprecedented tragedy”.
More than 150 firefighters have been working to bring the blaze under control (Reuters)
”The pain is immense. Andalusia is in mourning, and our hearts go out to Almería and all those affected,” he said.
Another four people were being treated in hospital for serious burns, Mr Sanz said, while more than 140 had been rehoused as a result of the fire.
Pedro Ridao, mayor of Antas, one of the neighbouring affected towns, told TVE that 80 people had been evacuated in his community so far.
He indicated the fire in his town was under control and said he hoped they would be able to stabilise the blaze by air as it had taken hold in “mountainous terrain with many ravines”, making it difficult to access.
He said that the fire may have started due to a cable that came loose and fell in an area of dry vegetation.
Authorities were continuing search operations amid concerns that more people could be missing.
Prime minister Pedro Sanchez said he felt “enormous sadness and devastation” over the consequences of the fire, offering his condolences to the families of those killed and wishing a speedy recovery to the injured.
In a post on X, he said emergency services, security forces and the military emergency unit (UME) had been mobilised to combat the blaze and urged residents to exercise caution.
The death toll makes it Spain’s deadliest wildfire since 2005, when 11 firefighters were killed in a blaze in the central province of Guadalajara that was sparked by a barbecue and burned thousands of hectares of forest.
Flames have already torn through some 3,150 hectares of land (Reuters)
That disaster, considered one of the country’s worst wildfire tragedies, prompted major changes to Spain’s wildfire prevention and emergency response systems.
Early summer heatwaves across western Europe in May and June have parched vast areas of land, making them particularly vulnerable to wildfires this year.
Europe is warming at more than twice the global average, the World Meteorological Organization has said, making prolonged heat episodes increasingly likely.
The British Foreign Office was approached for comment.