Today is the sixth and final planned strike day at Ubisoft Barcelona. Workers gathered outside the studio at 10:30 a.m. local time for a rally that coincided with a new round of negotiations — the last scheduled chance for the three-week walkout to produce a binding commitment from management. As of yesterday’s session, Ubisoft’s offer was still, in the words of one affected employee, “far below any reasonable standard,” Game Informer reported. The union has not announced whether the action is over.

The number that makes this dispute impossible to dismiss as routine: Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced launched July 9 and sold two million copies in its first 24 hours, making it the highest-concurrent-player Assassin’s Creed title in Steam history, Ubisoft’s official press release confirmed. The studio that built the game’s entire underwater world, the region of Gibara, its enemy AI, and several main quest lines — contributions documented by Game Informer — is the studio that Ubisoft is now cutting by 28 percent.

Three Weeks of Partial Stoppages

The walkout was organized by two Spanish labor bodies: the Confederación General del Trabajo (CGT), a national trade union federation, and the Coordinadora Sindical del Videojuego (CSVI), the games-sector affiliate, as documented in CGT Catalunya’s announcement. Rather than halting all operations, the unions structured the action as partial afternoon stoppages on Tuesdays and Thursdays from June 30 through today — six events across three weeks, preserving the legal option to escalate to a broader stoppage if negotiations collapsed.

Collapse, more or less, is what happened. After a July 15 rally drew roughly 90 workers outside the studio, an employee set to be affected reached out to Game Informer with the latest state of play: “Despite that, Ubisoft is still offering us a very bad offer, that goes below any reasonable standard, and far lower than what you’d expect in this situation.” A union representative told IGN the core problem was severance: what Ubisoft put on the table was “far below the minimum expected, and below what they’ve offered for previously laid-off employees from the studio,” TheGamer reported.

Ubisoft, for its part, issued an official statement calling the restructuring a “proposal” and emphasizing that no final decision would be made until the consultation process concluded: “We are committed to constructive dialogue with employee representatives and to supporting employees throughout this period,” a spokesperson told VGC. The language is careful because Spanish labor law requires it — the ERE procedure (Expediente de Regulación de Empleo) is a formal collective-redundancy mechanism under Article 51 of Spain’s Workers’ Statute that mandates a consultation period before any terminations can be finalized.

What Vantage Studios Actually Did

The draft that circulates about this dispute describes the layoffs as a “strategic shift” — Ubisoft’s framing. What the organizational record shows is more specific.

In October 2025, Ubisoft launched Vantage Studios, a new subsidiary backed by a €1.16 billion Tencent investment, to oversee its three flagship franchises: Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Rainbow Six. Tencent holds roughly a 25-percent stake in Vantage; Ubisoft retains majority control. The co-CEOs are Christophe Derennes and Charlie Guillemot — the latter the son of Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot.

It is Vantage Studios, not Ubisoft as an undifferentiated whole, that controls which studios receive Assassin’s Creed development mandates. And Vantage Studios decided not to give Barcelona another one. Former QA lead Isabel Codina García, who spent seven years at the studio, said it plainly on launch day: “Vantage Studios has stated there will not be further mandates for the Barcelona studio, despite the team proposing new AC projects,” GamingBolt reported. Without a mandate from Vantage, the Barcelona team had no future work in the company’s reorganized structure — and the ERE is the legal consequence of that decision.

Technical and gameplay animator Manel Cota described the outcome in a post that circulated widely: Barcelona “did all the underwater levels. And that same team is being fired right now because Ubisoft thinks that’s what we deserve,” VGC reported.

Workers had seen this coming since at least summer 2025. Ubisoft typically assigns studios to their next project months before the current one ships. Barcelona never received that assignment, and when workers flagged their concern to management, no public response followed, Notebookcheck reported citing Insider Gaming.

The Demands

Workers and the CGT/CSVI put five demands on the table:

Cancellation of all 51 layoffs. The ERE covers 51 positions — approximately 28 percent of the studio’s pre-restructuring headcount.

A five-year ban on collective dismissals. Workers want a binding guarantee against mass layoffs for the next five years, not just protection for those immediately affected.

Restoration of remote-work provisions. Ubisoft reduced the studio’s work-from-home allowance — previously up to 60 percent of monthly working days — as part of a global return-to-office mandate announced in 2025. Unions representing Barcelona workers filed a lawsuit over that mandate in October 2024; the case has not been publicly resolved.

Immediate implementation of frozen promotions. Internal promotions that workers say were previously agreed to were “unilaterally paralyzed by the company,” in the union’s words.

A career development pact. Workers are also pushing for a formal review of salary improvement plans and social benefits packages.

The negotiations that matter most right now are the severance talks. The union representative’s assessment to IGN is that the Assassin’s Creed team’s jobs “seem quite definite” in terms of being eliminated, and that “some will move to Rainbow Six” — but the financial terms being offered to those departing fall short of what Ubisoft has paid in prior rounds at the same studio.

Why Spanish Labor Law Matters Here

Under Spain’s ERE procedure, workers whose contracts are terminated in a collective redundancy are entitled by statute to a minimum of 20 days’ salary per year of service, capped at 12 months’ pay. If a court finds that the stated grounds — “strategic shift,” in Ubisoft’s framing — do not meet the legal standard of economic, technical, organizational, or production (ETOP) necessity, the ERE can be declared null and void, requiring either reinstatement or enhanced compensation at the unfair-dismissal rate of 33 days per year of service.

Workers and their representatives have 20 working days from the moment Ubisoft issues final termination notices to file a collective challenge in the labor courts. That window has not yet opened — the statutory consultation period is still ongoing, which is why Ubisoft’s statement continues to describe the layoffs as a “proposal.”

The union’s “below what they’ve offered for previously laid-off employees” language signals that Ubisoft’s offer is near or at the 20-day statutory floor — and workers are pushing for something above it, consistent with the company’s prior practice.

How Big Is This Wave?

The Barcelona dispute is the most visible flashpoint in a restructuring cycle that has been building for months. The June 10 announcement that triggered the strike also closed Ubisoft Winnipeg (approximately 65 employees) and Ubisoft Belgrade (approximately 100 employees), bringing the combined Q2 2026 layoff total to roughly 380 positions. Across all restructuring rounds in 2026, Ubisoft has eliminated or placed at risk approximately 680 or more positions, according to prior reporting.

Since September 2022, Ubisoft has shed approximately 1,700 employees even as net bookings reached record highs in FY2024. The more recent financial picture is sharply worse: Ubisoft posted a record IFRS operating loss of €1.3 billion for fiscal year 2025-26, with net bookings falling 17.4 percent to €1.53 billion. The company cut approximately 1,200 additional jobs in that fiscal year and has been targeting €200 million in cost reductions.

The broader games industry has lost an estimated 45,000 jobs since 2022. The GDC’s 2026 State of the Game Industry survey, drawing on responses from more than 2,300 professionals, found that one in three U.S. game developers had been laid off in the prior two years.

Is This Happening Everywhere?

Barcelona is not an isolated case. Yesterday — July 15, 2026 — hundreds of workers staged the first coordinated multi-city labor action in gaming history, marching simultaneously at six Xbox/Bethesda studio locations across four cities in response to Microsoft’s announcement of 3,200 Xbox job eliminations, as TechTimes reported. On July 14, 11 Bit Studios — the Polish developer whose Frostpunk 2 had just crossed a million copies sold — cut around 20 employees as the studio transitioned between production cycles, TechTimes reported.

The structural logic is consistent across all three cases: commercial success at the product level does not guarantee job security at the team level, because the team that built the product may have no next assignment once the product ships.

European studios have a specific advantage in this dynamic: Spain’s ERE procedure, France’s collective bargaining requirements, and other continental labor protections create legally mandated consultation periods and minimum compensation floors that do not exist in most U.S. studio contexts. That is partly why the CGT/CSVI’s six-week structured action has been able to sustain itself — partial stoppages are less economically costly to workers than a full walkout, and Spanish law fully protects the right to strike under Article 28.2 of the Constitution.

What the Barcelona action has not yet been able to do is change the fundamental outcome. Vantage Studios made its mandate decision. The ERE consultation is grinding toward a conclusion. Unless today’s negotiations — or a court challenge down the road — alter the terms, most of the 51 will be leaving with severance that the union says falls short of what this company has paid before.

What Workers Can Still Do

The CGT/CSVI has not announced whether today ends the planned strike action or marks the beginning of a new escalation phase. The union’s use of partial stoppages rather than a full walkout has preserved its capacity to escalate — and the statement from the July 15 rally made clear that no deal had been reached.

Workers also retain the right to challenge the ERE itself in Spanish labor court once Ubisoft issues formal termination notices. If the court finds that Vantage Studios’ decision not to assign further AC mandates does not constitute valid ETOP grounds under Article 51 of the Workers’ Statute, the dismissals could be declared null and void, requiring either reinstatement or significantly higher compensation than the statutory minimum of 20 days per year of service.

The February 2026 international strike by five French unions, which involved approximately 1,200 Ubisoft workers and included demands for CEO Yves Guillemot’s resignation, did not produce visible concessions at the company level. That precedent suggests the company’s negotiating position is firm. Whether Barcelona’s workers can extract better severance terms — or use the courts to challenge the ERE’s legal foundation — is the question that survives today’s final scheduled rally.

Frequently Asked QuestionsWhy are Ubisoft Barcelona workers on strike if the game sold two million copies?

The Barcelona team built major portions of Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced — including all underwater exploration sequences, the Gibara region, and enemy AI — and the game sold two million copies in its first 24 hours. Workers are striking because Ubisoft proceeded with plans to cut 51 jobs at the studio regardless of those sales. The layoffs were announced June 10, before the game launched, and reflect a structural decision by Vantage Studios — the subsidiary that controls AC, Far Cry, and Rainbow Six mandates — not to assign Barcelona any further Assassin’s Creed work. Commercial performance of the current game did not factor into that mandate decision.

What is Vantage Studios and what does it have to do with these layoffs?

Vantage Studios is a Ubisoft subsidiary launched in October 2025 with a €1.16 billion investment from Tencent, which holds approximately a 25-percent stake. Vantage controls the development mandates for Ubisoft’s three flagship franchises — Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Rainbow Six. When Vantage decided not to assign future AC projects to Barcelona, the studio had no remaining work pipeline under Ubisoft’s reorganized structure. The ERE (collective redundancy plan) affecting the 51 Barcelona employees is the legal consequence of that mandate decision, not a standalone cost-cutting move.

What can workers do under Spanish labor law to challenge the layoffs?

Spain’s ERE procedure requires Ubisoft to complete a formal consultation period with employee representatives before any terminations become final. If talks fail, workers can challenge the ERE in labor court within 20 working days of receiving formal termination notices. If the court determines that Ubisoft’s stated grounds — “strategic shift” and “focus on Rainbow Six” — do not meet the legal standard required under Article 51 of Spain’s Workers’ Statute, the dismissals could be declared null and void, requiring reinstatement or significantly higher compensation than the statutory minimum of 20 days per year of service.

What does the union say Ubisoft is offering in severance?

A union representative told IGN the severance Ubisoft put on the table is “far below the minimum expected, and below what they’ve offered for previously laid-off employees from the studio.” That language signals Ubisoft’s offer is near the statutory floor of 20 days’ salary per year of service. Workers are pushing for terms consistent with what the company has paid in prior Barcelona layoff rounds — a figure the union implies is above the legal minimum.