MADRID, July 24 (Reuters) – The Spanish government on ⁠Thursday ⁠night declared a national emergency ⁠after a series of wildfires threatened communities near Madrid and ​in the neighbouring province of Avila, forcing more than 10,000 people to evacuate as firefighters ‌struggled to contain the blazes.

The ‌Interior Ministry said the decision was taken because of the simultaneous outbreak of ⁠several fires, ⁠adverse weather conditions and the need to mobilise extensive resources from ​different public administrations, increasing the complexity of firefighting and civil protection efforts.

Spain and much of southern Europe face increasingly severe wildfire seasons that scientists have linked to climate change. ​Experts say abundant vegetation growth following unusually heavy spring rainfall has dried out ⁠in extreme ⁠summer heat, creating fuel ⁠for rapidly ​spreading fires.

The regional government of Madrid requested assistance, describing the situation as one of “extreme ​gravity”. It said active ⁠fires in Villa del Prado, San Martin de Valdeiglesias and Almorox, in neighbouring Castile-La Mancha, had the potential to advance beyond current extinguishing capacity. It also warned that the wildfire in Burgohondo, Avila, could reach the Madrid region in the coming ⁠hours due to weather conditions.

More than 10,000 people have been evacuated from ⁠Villa del Prado, San Martin de Valdeiglesias, Pelayos de la Presa and Aldea del Fresno, according to the regional government.

Under Spain’s National Civil Protection System law, the declaration places the emergency under the direct authority of the interior minister, who is responsible for coordinating the response. Authorities said it was the first such declaration linked to a wildfire.

More than 270 emergency personnel and 40 ground units have been deployed in the affected areas, ⁠alongside several Military Emergency Unit(UME) contingents.

More than 100,000 hectares have burned in Spain so far this year, roughly equivalent to the country’s average annual burned area over the past decade. Thirteen people have died, making 2026 one ​of the deadliest wildfire seasons in decades.

(Reporting by Emma Pinedo; ​Editing by Jesús Aguado and Tomasz Janowski)

Copyright 2026 Thomson Reuters.

Photos You Should See – June 2026

A woman's hand presses against a plastic sheet used to replace the shattered glass of a balcony door damaged in an Israeli strike in the southern port city of Tyre, Lebanon, Friday, June 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar)