RABAT, Aug ⁠6 (Reuters) – ⁠Morocco is ready ⁠to cooperate with Spain and ​other European partners on the return of ‌unaccompanied minors who were ‌among tens of thousands of ⁠migrants ⁠who crossed into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta,  ​state news agency MAP reported on Thursday.

“Morocco has committed, in line with high royal ​instructions issued to the interior and foreign ⁠affairs ⁠ministries, to work towards ⁠identifying ​unaccompanied minors with a view to their return ​to their ⁠homeland,” MAP, which reflects official positions, said citing a diplomatic source. 

Spanish authorities say 72,000 migrants crossed during the ⁠influx last week, while Moroccan authorities said about 40,000 ⁠people were involved.

At least 1,100 unaccompanied minors remain in Ceuta, some of whom arrived during last week’s large-scale crossing while others were already in the enclave, according to local authorities.

The vast majority of the migrants ⁠who entered Ceuta  have since returned to Morocco.

Unlike adults, minors cannot be immediately returned under existing procedures.

(Reporting by Ahmed ​El Jechtimi; Editing by Chris ​Reese and Sanjeev Miglani)

Copyright 2026 Thomson Reuters.

Photos You Should See: August 2026

TOPSHOT - Members of the Spanish Army's 'Regulares' infantry forces watch a group of migrants near the border post of the Spanish enclave of Ceuta on August 2, 2026. At least 72 people died during last week's mass influx of migrants into Spain's Ceuta enclave, when tens of thousands of people mostly swam around the border post from Morocco, local officials said today. Most of the estimated 60,000 people who rushed into Spain's north African territory have returned to Morocco since the territory's largest mass migrant crossing. (Photo by Henry NICHOLLS / AFP via Getty Images)