BARCELONA, Aug 14 (Reuters) – Spanish authorities on Thursday removed the remains of three kings who ruled the Aragón region ‌in the 11th century from a monastery threatened by a ‌wildfire.

Their remains were taken to the provincial museum of Huesca, located 80 km (50 ​miles) south of the monastery, for their protection until conditions improve, said the northeastern region’s vice-president Mar Vaquero.

After the wildfire that had been raging since Monday began moving toward the 10th century San Juan ‌de la Peña monastery ⁠late on Thursday, concern that it could be engulfed by flames prompted authorities to launch a rescue operation, ⁠Vaquero told reporters.

An emergency military unit team managed to enter the monastery, located in a mountain range, and take ceremonial clothing belonging ​to an ​18th century count buried there, before ​the proximity of the ‌flames forced them to flee.

The team returned a second time, accompanied by police officers and heritage officials, and removed the remains of the first three kings of Aragón — who ruled between 1035 and 1104 — from a pantheon within the monastery, as well as some ‌historical paintings.

Vaquero praised the bravery of the ​rescue team.

The wildfire had intensified earlier ​on Thursday, fuelled by higher ​temperatures and strong winds. It has burned more ‌than 9,000 hectares and forced the ​evacuation of 16 ​towns, although the monastery remained unharmed on Friday morning.

In southern Spain, a much larger wildfire also worsened on Thursday. It ​has so far ‌burned 31,000 hectares in the province of Huelva and forced ​the evacuation of around 700 people.

(Reporting by Joan Faus; ​editing by Charlie Devereux, Aidan Lewis)