
Hundreds of Moroccan migrants who recently reached the Spanish enclave of Ceuta gathered on a beach on Sunday to protest against being returned to Morocco, calling on Spanish authorities to examine their asylum claims and allow them to remain in Spain.
The migrants are among an estimated 5,000 to 8,000 people who remain in Ceuta after a mass crossing from Morocco about two weeks ago. Most of those who entered the enclave later returned voluntarily to Morocco, easing pressure on the small Spanish territory, but thousands remain in the hope of reaching mainland Spain.
The latest arrivals followed one of the largest mass crossings into Ceuta in recent years. Spanish authorities said tens of thousands of people entered the territory during the episode, with about 49,000 arrivals recorded within a 24-hour period.
At Sunday’s protest, migrants carried Spanish flags and placards reading “We don’t want to return to Morocco” and “We are human too.” They also chanted for a solution to their situation and demanded access to asylum procedures.
Spanish Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said earlier in the week that people who entered Ceuta irregularly would generally not be allowed to remain in the enclave, travel to mainland Spain or obtain legal residency, except in limited cases where authorities establish serious vulnerability.
The situation has also raised concerns about health and living conditions. Ceuta’s medical authorities have reported cases of infectious diarrhoea and scabies among migrants, as well as an increase in injuries, including broken noses and wounds allegedly caused by knives.
Many of the Moroccan migrants interviewed by Reuters said economic hardship, unemployment and limited opportunities had pushed them to leave their country. Some said they had professional qualifications but could not earn enough to establish stable lives.
Mohamed Wanzar, a 39-year-old automation specialist, told Reuters that his monthly income of about 3,000 Moroccan dirhams, roughly $324, was insufficient to buy a home or build a family. He described reaching Spanish territory as feeling like being “reborn” and said he would rather die than return.
Another migrant, Emmanuel, a 30-year-old electrician who said he fled violence in northeastern Nigeria, described a four-month journey through Algeria and Morocco. He said he left because he feared for his children’s safety and education and wanted to find a better future for them.
The protests highlight the broader migration pressures facing Spain’s North African territories, where migrants continue to seek access to Europe because of economic hardship, insecurity and limited opportunities. For those still in Ceuta, the immediate uncertainty centres on whether they will be allowed to seek protection in Spain or be returned to Morocco.