Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has tested positive for cocaine after failing a drug test in Spain.
The tennis sensation admitted he failed a drug test in Mallorca after using the banned substance.
“I wanted you to hear this from me first. I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine,” Kyrgios said in a statement posted to his Instagram page.
“I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it.”
Krygios apologised to his fans, family, sponsors and everyone close to him.
“Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself,” he said in his post.
“I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I’ve been.
“The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally.
“My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.
“I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis – tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone.
“None of that excuses what I did.”
Kyrgios said he would step away from public life for the next four weeks while he focuses on getting himself right.
Krygios has since been provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) under the under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme.
In a statement, the Agency said the 31-year-old provided a sample during an ATP 250 event on June 22.
A World Anti Doping Agency confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.
“Because of the nature of the substance, a provisional suspension is mandatory and has been in place since 4 August 2026,” a statement read.
Last month, Kyrgios announced he had likely played his final match at Wimbeldon after he was eliminated in the opening round of the gentleman’s doubles.
Kyrgios and his partner Alexander Bublik were beaten by Marcelo Arevalo and Mate Pavic, with Kyrgios swearing at an umpire during the match.
The 31-year-old has been fined three times by Wimbledon officials, totalling $19,000 – twice for swearing and once for spitting in the direction of a spectator.
He has never been far from controversy in his tennis career that took off when he won his first match at the 2013 French Open.
In 2019, Kyrgios was fined a record $113,000 by the ATP for his on court antics after he smashed rackets and abused an umpire at Ohio.
He was suspended for 16 weeks over his ongoing behaviour and violating the ATP’s code of conduct, which was increased to a six-month probation and an extra $25,000 penalty when Kyrgios appealed the decision.
More to come
Originally published as Aussie tennis sensation Nick Kyrgios tests positive to cocaine