{"id":63852,"date":"2026-07-31T16:54:21","date_gmt":"2026-07-31T16:54:21","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/63852\/"},"modified":"2026-07-31T16:54:21","modified_gmt":"2026-07-31T16:54:21","slug":"whats-happening-in-spain-41-dead-as-up-to-60000-migrants-storm-ceuta-border-from-morocco-world-news","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/63852\/","title":{"rendered":"What\u2019s happening in Spain? 41 dead as up to 60,000 migrants storm Ceuta border from Morocco | World News"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Spain rushed to contain one of the biggest migration crises in its recent history on Friday after up to <a href=\"https:\/\/indianexpress.com\/article\/world\/europe-spain-ceuta-migrant-crisis-morocco-border-meloni-schengen-10811399\/\" class=\"\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">60,000 migrants crossed into the North African enclave of Ceuta<\/a> from Morocco within 24 hours, overwhelming local authorities and leaving at least 41 people dead in desperate attempts to reach European territory.<\/p>\n<p>Spanish Prime Minister Pedro S\u00e1nchez, who travelled to Ceuta on Friday, described the mass crossing as \u201ca violation of Spain\u2019s territorial integrity\u201d and blamed human trafficking networks for encouraging thousands of migrants to risk the dangerous journey.<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" class=\"lazyloading\" data-lazy-type=\"lazyloading-image\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/04\/track_1x1.jpg\" data-lazy-src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/04\/track_1x1.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"1px\" height=\"1px\" style=\"display:none;\"\/><\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe traffickers deceive so many young people, and ultimately lead many of them to their deaths \u2014 whether in the ocean or, as in this case, at Spain\u2019s border in the autonomous city of Ceuta,\u201d S\u00e1nchez said.<\/p>\n<p>The latest death toll marks a sharp increase from earlier estimates, underscoring the scale of what officials have described as a humanitarian emergency.<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"5500\" height=\"3696\" class=\"lazyloading size-medium wp-image-10812461\" data-lazy-type=\"lazyloading-image\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/31073-2026-07-31t094401z_853070093_rc2vomayhifx_rtrmadp_3_migration-europe-spain-ceuta.jpg\" alt=\"A migrant from Morocco gestures as he arrives at the Spanish border, in Ceuta, Spain, July 31, 2026. (REUTERS)\"  \/> A migrant from Morocco gestures as he arrives at the Spanish border, in Ceuta, Spain, July 31, 2026. (REUTERS)<br \/>\nUp to 60,000 crossed in a day<\/p>\n<p>Ceuta President Juan Jes\u00fas Vivas said around 60,000 migrants had entered the Spanish enclave since Thursday, equivalent to nearly 70 per cent of the city\u2019s population, calling the situation \u201cabsolutely unsustainable.\u201d Spain\u2019s Interior Ministry later put the figure at around 50,000 crossings, while saying nearly 25,000 people had already returned voluntarily to Morocco.<\/p>\n<p>The unprecedented influx stretched reception centres far beyond capacity, with thousands\u2014including unaccompanied children\u2014forced to spend the night in parks, sidewalks and other public spaces.<\/p>\n<p>Rachid Sbihi, who heads an association representing Spain\u2019s Civil Guard officers in Ceuta, described the situation as a \u201cserious humanitarian crisis.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Story continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p>Chaos at the border<\/p>\n<p>Video footage from the border showed Moroccan security forces using tear gas, batons and water cannons to disperse crowds trying to enter Ceuta, while many migrants continued swimming around the border barriers to reach Spanish territory.<\/p>\n<p>On the Spanish side, military vehicles were deployed along the frontier as authorities struggled to restore order.<\/p>\n<p>Several hundred migrants were later seen returning to Morocco through border crossings and gaps in the fence after failing to find food or shelter inside Ceuta.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cHonestly, I don\u2019t even know why I came, and now I\u2019m going back,\u201d one young Moroccan man told Reuters. \u201cI haven\u2019t eaten since lunch yesterday.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Story continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"3840\" height=\"2560\" class=\"lazyloading size-medium wp-image-10812463\" data-lazy-type=\"lazyloading-image\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/31073-2026-07-31t074958z_1831863768_rc2voma570o8_rtrmadp_3_europe-migration-spain-ceuta.jpg\" alt=\"A migrant from Morocco reacts as he arrives at the Spanish border, in Ceuta, July 31, 2026, (REUTERS)\"  \/> A migrant from Morocco reacts as he arrives at the Spanish border, in Ceuta, July 31, 2026, (REUTERS)<br \/>\nWhy are migrants crossing?<\/p>\n<p>Ceuta and Melilla, Spain\u2019s two autonomous cities on the North African coast, form the European Union\u2019s only land borders with Africa. Migrants often attempt to reach Ceuta by swimming from the Moroccan towns of Fnideq or Belyounech, while others try to scale or breach the heavily fortified border fences.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/indianexpress.com\/article\/world\/spain-ceuta-migrant-crisis-morocco-border-crossing-video-10811118\/\" class=\"\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Spanish authorities linked the latest surge to a recent Spanish Supreme Court ruling,<\/a> which held that migrants intercepted at sea while attempting to reach Ceuta or Melilla could not be summarily returned under existing procedures.<\/p>\n<p>According to S\u00e1nchez, human trafficking networks misrepresented the court\u2019s decision, encouraging thousands of migrants to believe they would be allowed to remain in Spain if they arrived by sea.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cIt appears that this interpretation of the Supreme Court\u2019s ruling spread like wildfire through the networks of human trafficking organisations,\u201d he said.<\/p>\n<p>Story continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p>However, some Moroccan rights activists questioned that explanation, arguing that most migrants were unlikely to have been aware of the legal ruling.<\/p>\n<p>.<\/p>\n<p>How it unfolded Why Ceuta Why now Then vs now Who said what<\/p>\n<p>From the Moroccan coast to Tarajal<\/p>\n<p>.<\/p>\n<p>The route<\/p>\n<p>Migrants set out from around Fnideq in Morocco, mostly swimming the ~5 km around the Tarajal breakwaters.<\/p>\n<p>.<\/p>\n<p>Past 24 hours<\/p>\n<p>Ceuta&#8217;s president says about 60,000 migrants crossed \u2014 ~70% of the city&#8217;s population; Spain&#8217;s Interior Ministry estimates some 50,000.<\/p>\n<p>.<\/p>\n<p>Wed\u2013Thu<\/p>\n<p>The surge boils over; crowds walk around the breakwaters at Tarajal beach onto local roads. Reception capacity is overwhelmed.<\/p>\n<p>.<\/p>\n<p>Thursday<\/p>\n<p>Spain says it will deploy the armed forces to support the Civil Guard; Morocco is \u201cclosely cooperating.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>.<\/p>\n<p>Thu\u2013Fri<\/p>\n<p>At least 41 die \u2014 many drowning, others killed in the crush to cross the breakwater fence at Tarajal beach.<\/p>\n<p>.<\/p>\n<p>Friday<\/p>\n<p>PM S\u00e1nchez visits and calls it \u201ca violation of Spain&#8217;s territorial integrity.\u201d Spain says around 25,000 have been returned; Spain and Morocco reinforce the fence and largely halt the crossings.<\/p>\n<p>Per AP, Reuters, Euronews, CBC and Al Jazeera. Figures are still moving: crossings 50,000\u201360,000 (ministry vs Ceuta govt), ~25,000 returned so far, and the toll stands at at least 41 \u2014 Ceuta&#8217;s president&#8217;s figure \u2014 and may yet change.<\/p>\n<p>Europe&#8217;s land border with Africa<\/p>\n<p>\u25b2 MOROCCO \u2014 Fnideq (departure)<\/p>\n<p>swim ~5 km \u2192CEUTA (Spain \/ EU)\u2190 Tarajal beach<\/p>\n<p>\u25bc SPAIN \u00b7 EUROPEAN UNION<\/p>\n<p>Why it&#8217;s a flashpoint: Ceuta and Melilla are the European Union&#8217;s only land borders with Africa \u2014 so they draw migrants hoping to reach Europe by swimming around the sea barriers or scaling the fortified fence.<\/p>\n<p>Schematic, not to scale. Melilla is a second Spanish enclave further east along Morocco&#8217;s coast.<\/p>\n<p>What may have triggered the surge<\/p>\n<p>1<\/p>\n<p>Spain is a main gateway to Europe for migrants seeking work or fleeing violence \u2014 a long-standing pull.<\/p>\n<p>2<\/p>\n<p>A Supreme Court ruling this month found migrants arriving by sea can&#8217;t be immediately pushed back without due process \u2014 unlike those who climb the land fence.<\/p>\n<p>3<\/p>\n<p>Ceuta officials link the spike to that ruling, suggesting it changed the calculus for sea crossings.<\/p>\n<p>4<\/p>\n<p>Thousands then attempted the crossing over a few days.<\/p>\n<p>Contested: some migration activists doubt the ruling alone explains it, arguing most migrants would have been unaware of the court decision. Authorities say they haven&#8217;t pinned down a single cause.<\/p>\n<p>Ceuta&#8217;s biggest surge in years<\/p>\n<p>2021<\/p>\n<p>Around 8,000+ crossed into Ceuta in a matter of days.<\/p>\n<p>It followed a diplomatic rift between Spain and Morocco.<\/p>\n<p>Spain sent troops and returned many migrants quickly.<\/p>\n<p>2026<\/p>\n<p>About 60,000 crossed in 24 hours \u2014 ~70% of the city&#8217;s population.<\/p>\n<p>At least 41 dead; the army deployed, ~25,000 returned, border resealed.<\/p>\n<p>Reception centres beyond capacity; a national emergency was sought but refused.<\/p>\n<p>Comparison limited to Ceuta. The 2021 Ceuta episode is the closest recent parallel; figures for 2026 are still changing.<\/p>\n<p>How leaders responded<\/p>\n<p>Pedro S\u00e1nchez<\/p>\n<p>Spanish Prime Minister<\/p>\n<p>Called the mass crossing \u201ca violation of Spain&#8217;s territorial integrity\u201d and blamed smugglers who \u201clead many to their deaths.\u201d His government deployed the army and returned around half.<\/p>\n<p>Juan Jes\u00fas Vivas<\/p>\n<p>President of Ceuta<\/p>\n<p>Declared an \u201cabsolute humanitarian and social emergency\u201d and asked Madrid for troops, saying facilities are overwhelmed.<\/p>\n<p>Giorgia Meloni<\/p>\n<p>Italian Prime Minister<\/p>\n<p>Threatened to suspend Schengen open borders with Spain \u201cto defend our borders\u201d \u2014 though Italy does not share a border with Spain.<\/p>\n<p>Margarita Robles<\/p>\n<p>Spanish Defence Minister<\/p>\n<p>Urged migrants not to risk the crossing: \u201cDo not be deceived by the trafficking networks\u201d \u2014 \u201cthe outcome will be return, in accordance with Spanish law.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Ursula von der Leyen<\/p>\n<p>European Commission President<\/p>\n<p>Called the images from Ceuta \u201cunacceptable\u201d: \u201cWe cannot allow anyone to come to our Union without abiding by our rules.\u201d France said it is tightening checks on its border with Spain.<\/p>\n<p>Quotes as reported (AP, Euronews, ABC News, Al Jazeera). Italy&#8217;s Schengen threat drew a Spanish rebuke; Madrid says it cannot declare a national emergency over migration. A developing story.<\/p>\n<p>Sources: Associated Press \u00b7 Reuters \u00b7 Euronews \u00b7 CBC News \u00b7 Al Jazeera. A fast-moving story; crossing, return and death figures are estimates and may change \u2014 the toll stands at at least 41.<\/p>\n<p>.<\/p>\n<p>Europe reacts<\/p>\n<p>The crisis quickly reverberated across Europe, exposing sharp divisions over migration policy.<\/p>\n<p>European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen condemned the scenes in Ceuta, saying the images were \u201cunacceptable.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe cannot allow anyone to come to our Union without abiding by our rules. Dangerous crossings must stop immediately. Smuggling networks must be dismantled. And returns must be swift,\u201d she said.<\/p>\n<p>Story continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p>Italy\u2019s Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni threatened to suspend Spain from the Schengen free-travel area to protect Italy\u2019s borders, while French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez announced that France would strengthen checks along its border with Spain.<\/p>\n<p>Spanish conservative leaders also blamed S\u00e1nchez\u2019s migration policies for encouraging the surge, after his government earlier this year granted legal residency and work permits to hundreds of thousands of undocumented migrants already living in Spain.<\/p>\n<p>The Spanish government rejected those claims, insisting the latest crisis had \u201cnothing to do\u201d with the regularisation programme and instead resulted from trafficking networks exploiting confusion surrounding the Supreme Court ruling.<\/p>\n<p>Pressure extends to Melilla<\/p>\n<p>The unrest also spread to Melilla, Spain\u2019s second North African enclave, where migrants clashed with Moroccan police in the border town of Bni Nsar, according to local media and rights groups.<\/p>\n<p>Story continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p>Authorities reported injuries among security personnel and dozens of arrests after protesters allegedly threw stones and set police vehicles ablaze during attempts to reach the Spanish territory.<\/p>\n<p>Spanish authorities said efforts to repatriate migrants were continuing with Morocco\u2019s cooperation, even as officials warned that the humanitarian and security challenges in Ceuta remained far from over.<\/p>\n<p>(With inputs from Reuters, AP)<\/p>\n<p>Expand<\/p>\n<p class=\"author-bio\"> The Express Global Desk at indianexpress.com which delivers authoritative, verified, and context-driven coverage of key international developments shaping global politics, policy, and migration trends. The desk focuses on stories with direct relevance for Indian and global audiences, combining breaking news with in-depth explainers and analysis.&#13;<br \/>\n&#13;<br \/>\nA major focus area of the desk is US immigration and visa policy, including developments related to student visas, work permits, permanent residency pathways, executive actions, and court rulings. The Global Desk also closely tracks Canada\u2019s immigration, visa, and study policies, covering changes to study permits, post-study work options, permanent residence programmes, and regulatory updates affecting migrants and international students.&#13;<br \/>\n&#13;<br \/>\nAll reporting from the Global Desk adheres to The Indian Express\u2019 editorial standards, relying on official data, government notifications, court documents, and on-record sources. The desk prioritises clarity, accuracy, and accountability, ensuring readers can navigate complex global systems with confidence.&#13;<br \/>\n&#13;<br \/>\nCore Team&#13;<br \/>\n&#13;<br \/>\nThe Express Global Desk is led by a team of experienced journalists and editors with deep expertise in international affairs and migration policy:&#13;<br \/>\n&#13;<br \/>\nAniruddha Dhar \u2013 Senior Assistant Editor with extensive experience in global affairs, international politics, and editorial leadership.&#13;<br \/>\n&#13;<br \/>\nNischai Vats \u2013 Deputy Copy Editor specialising in US politics, US visa and immigration policy, and policy-driven international coverage.&#13;<br \/>\n&#13;<br \/>\nMashkoora Khan \u2013 Sub-editor focusing on global developments, with a strong emphasis on Canada visa, immigration, and study-related policy coverage.\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<a class=\"more-abt-author\" href=\"https:\/\/indianexpress.com\/agency\/express-global-desk\/\" rel=\"noamphtml nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">&#8230; Read More <\/a>\n\t\t\t\t\t\t<\/p>\n<p>Stay updated with the latest &#8211; <a href=\"https:\/\/www.instagram.com\/indianexpress\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Click here to follow us on Instagram<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<script async src=\"\/\/www.instagram.com\/embed.js\"><\/script><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Spain rushed to contain one of the biggest migration crises in its recent history on Friday after up&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":63853,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[2],"tags":[25800,3299,25673,25618,25619,25803,333,25802,4446,25801,4713,25798,25680,25691,25799,3593,25804,2264,25639,25389,205,1996,17,25797,25626,12186,16609,394],"class_list":["post-63852","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-spain","tag-border-crisis","tag-ceuta","tag-ceuta-border","tag-ceuta-migrant-crisis","tag-europe-migration-crisis","tag-europe-news","tag-european-union","tag-france-border-checks","tag-giorgia-meloni","tag-human-trafficking","tag-humanitarian-crisis","tag-illegal-migration","tag-melilla","tag-migrant-deaths","tag-migrant-surge","tag-migrants","tag-migration-news","tag-morocco","tag-morocco-migrants","tag-morocco-spain-border","tag-pedro-sanchez","tag-schengen-area","tag-spain","tag-spain-migration-crisis","tag-spain-morocco-border","tag-spain-news","tag-ursula-von-der-leyen","tag-world-news"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/63852","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=63852"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/63852\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/63853"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=63852"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=63852"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=63852"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}