{"id":64707,"date":"2026-08-02T12:38:18","date_gmt":"2026-08-02T12:38:18","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/64707\/"},"modified":"2026-08-02T12:38:18","modified_gmt":"2026-08-02T12:38:18","slug":"bangkok-post-at-least-72-died-in-spains-ceuta-migrant-rush","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/64707\/","title":{"rendered":"Bangkok Post &#8211; At least 72 died in Spain&#8217;s Ceuta migrant rush"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<img src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/c1_6175380.jpg\"   alt=\"Tens of thousands of people swam to the Spanish enclave from neighbouring Morocco\" class=\"img-fluid\" loading=\"eager\" fetchpriority=\"high\" decoding=\"async\"\/><\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tTens of thousands of people swam to the Spanish enclave from neighbouring Morocco\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<\/p>\n<p>CEUTA (SPAIN) &#8211; At least 72 people died during last week&#8217;s mass influx of migrants into Spain&#8217;s Ceuta enclave, when tens of thousands of people mostly swam around the border post from Morocco, local officials said on Sunday.<\/p>\n<p>Most of the estimated 60,000 people who rushed into Spain&#8217;s north African territory have returned to Morocco since the territory&#8217;s largest mass migrant crossing.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;The latest figure that we have is 72,&#8221; the government&#8217;s delegate to Ceuta, Miguel Angel Perez Triano, told reporters, when asked about the number of fatalities.<\/p>\n<p>The previous toll was 67 deaths.<\/p>\n<p>Spanish police and troops patrolled the streets of Ceuta on Sunday as the enclave returned to normal after the sudden mass influx of migrants from Morocco.<\/p>\n<p>Only small groups of migrants were still walking around after most who crossed the small border barrier returned voluntarily to Morocco in 48 hours.<\/p>\n<p>The largest migrant rush into the enclave has caused an international crisis for Spain with European partners criticising Madrid for its immigration policies.<\/p>\n<p>Outside a housing project near Ceuta port, Spanish soldiers detained a group of nine tired-looking migrants who were sitting on the pavement, guarded by troops with an armoured car, an AFP reporter said.<\/p>\n<p>Small inflatable boats from a rescue unit scoured the waters around the border barrier that extends into the Mediterranean Sea, where a new 500-metre (1,640-feet) floating boom reinforced security.<\/p>\n<p>Civil Guard were also taking migrants off a bus to escort them back to the border post to return to Morocco.<\/p>\n<p>The border crossing was calm, with groups of workers picking up trash, clothes and rubbish left behind during the mass crossing.<\/p>\n<p>&#8211; Rumours &#8211;<\/p>\n<p>Spain has blamed criminal gangs for spreading rumours that a recent Spanish Supreme Court ruling on immigration would allow migrants easier passage.<\/p>\n<p>Some analysts suggested Morocco could allow migrants to cross the border to put diplomatic pressure on Spain, which has recently improved ties with Rabat&#8217;s arch-enemy neighbouring Algeria.<\/p>\n<p>In 2021, around 10,000 migrants crossed into Ceuta, taking advantage of Morocco easing border controls as a way to pressure Spain.<\/p>\n<p>Moroccan officials have so far not offered any statement on the crisis.<\/p>\n<p>But some of those who crossed the border said they had heard the border was open &#8212; a rumour quickly amplified on social media.<\/p>\n<p>The EU said it would hold a video call on Tuesday after 22 bloc members issued a joint open letter calling for an urgent meeting to agree a speedy coordinated response, and to prevent further uncontrolled crossings.<\/p>\n<p>Italy on Saturday implemented a one-month suspension of its Schengen agreement with Spain allowing for visa-free movement between borders.<\/p>\n<p>Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, in a letter to EU leaders, blasted the &#8220;selfish&#8221; reaction by some EU countries.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Tens of thousands of people swam to the Spanish enclave from neighbouring Morocco CEUTA (SPAIN) &#8211; At least&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":64708,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[2],"tags":[3299,25999,26001,26000,25689,205,25818,17,25950],"class_list":["post-64707","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-spain","tag-ceuta","tag-european-union-immigration","tag-international-migration-crisis","tag-mediterranean-border-security","tag-morocco-border","tag-pedro-sanchez","tag-schengen-agreement","tag-spain","tag-spain-migration"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/64707","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=64707"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/64707\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/64708"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=64707"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=64707"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=64707"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}