{"id":66858,"date":"2026-08-06T19:11:08","date_gmt":"2026-08-06T19:11:08","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/66858\/"},"modified":"2026-08-06T19:11:08","modified_gmt":"2026-08-06T19:11:08","slug":"ceutas-leader-says-100-died-in-border-rush-as-up-to-5000-still-in-enclave-european-union-news","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/66858\/","title":{"rendered":"Ceuta\u2019s leader says 100 died in border rush as up to 5,000 still in enclave | European Union News"},"content":{"rendered":"<p class=\"article__subhead\">After migrant surge from Morocco, EU says Spain assured Schengen is safe but warns Europe\u2019s borders are \u2018vulnerable\u2019.<\/p>\n<p>Published On 6 Aug 20266 Aug 2026<\/p>\n<p>At least 100 people died during mass migrant crossings from Morocco into Spain\u2019s North African enclave of <a href=\"https:\/\/www.aljazeera.com\/news\/2026\/8\/5\/ceuta-and-melilla-why-europes-african-border-remains-a-flashpoint\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Ceuta<\/a>, the city\u2019s leader says, as thousands of undocumented people remain in the enclave.<\/p>\n<p>Juan Jesus Vivas, head of Ceuta\u2019s local government, gave the death toll while testifying on Thursday before the European Parliament\u2019s Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs in Brussels.<\/p>\n<p>Recommended Stories list of 3 itemsend of list<\/p>\n<p>He said between 3,000 and 5,000 migrants remain in Ceuta, which he described as still reeling from the crossings last week.<\/p>\n<p>European Union migration commissioner Magnus Brunner told the same hearing that Spain had assured Brussels the crisis would not affect Schengen, the EU\u2019s passport-free travel zone. But he warned Ceuta had exposed a deeper weakness: Europe\u2019s border security depends too heavily on the cooperation of a single neighbouring country.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cAs long as control depends on the goodwill of one neighbouring state, we remain \u2026 vulnerable,\u201d he said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"p1\">About 72,000 migrants <a href=\"https:\/\/www.aljazeera.com\/features\/2026\/8\/5\/how-a-social-media-campaign-triggered-huge-migrant-surge-on-ceuta\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">swam or crossed on foot<\/a> from Morocco into Ceuta last Thursday and Friday, according to Spanish authorities, in one of the largest movements into EU territory in recent years.<\/p>\n<p>Vivas called it an \u201cinvasion\u201d \u2013 and he noted the number of those who entered was roughly equal to the enclave\u2019s entire population of more than 80,000.<\/p>\n<p>Spain\u2019s government declined to attend the hearing; the European Commission attended in its place.<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" class=\"size-arc-image-770 wp-image-4828672\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/2026-08-04T045908Z_183702175_RC27RMAEZABK_RTRMADP_3_MIGRATION-EUROPE-SPAIN-CEUTA-1785852688.jpg\" alt=\"Migrants wait in line to receive food and beverage from the Red Cross, following mass crossings of migrants on foot and by sea from Morocco into Spanish territory, in Ceuta, Spain, August 3, 2026. REUTERS\/Violeta Santos Moura\" fetchpriority=\"low\"\/>Migrants wait in line to receive food and drinks from the Red Cross, following mass crossings on foot and by sea from Morocco into Spanish territory, in Ceuta, Spain, August 3, 2026 [Violeta Santos Moura\/Reuters]<\/p>\n<p>Vivas said Ceuta\u2019s two reception centres, for adults and unaccompanied minors, had \u201ccollapsed\u201d under the strain, and that authorities had not disclosed the exact number of migrants still in the city due to a lack of resources.<\/p>\n<p>He said local officials had warned Madrid about rising crossing numbers before the surge, but their warnings were not acted on, and that Moroccan authorities had refused to engage with Ceuta throughout the crisis.<\/p>\n<p class=\"p1\">On \u2060Monday, Morocco rejected suggestions it was responsible for the surge, saying Spain should have anticipated the consequences of a court ruling that migrants arriving by swimming could not be immediately deported if no \u2060physical border barrier had been crossed.<\/p>\n<p>Security forces, Vivas said, have still not been deployed in the city \u201cwith the required intensity\u201d.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe faced a humanitarian emergency of enormous proportions, compounded by disturbances to public order and a serious risk to public safety,\u201d Vivas told MEPs, renewing calls for the immediate deportation of migrants who entered irregularly.<\/p>\n<p>He said unaccompanied minors could only be returned with their consent, and that local authorities had no information on whether any previously expelled extremists were among the arrivals.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cOur border is porous and vulnerable,\u201d Vivas added.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"After migrant surge from Morocco, EU says Spain assured Schengen is safe but warns Europe\u2019s borders are \u2018vulnerable\u2019.&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":66859,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[2],"tags":[66,333,945,25801,2249,202,203,2264,273,17],"class_list":["post-66858","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-spain","tag-europe","tag-european-union","tag-human-rights","tag-human-trafficking","tag-humanitarian-crises","tag-middle-east","tag-migration","tag-morocco","tag-news","tag-spain"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/66858","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=66858"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/66858\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/66859"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=66858"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=66858"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/spain\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=66858"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}