A child has died after being pulled out of open water at London’s Royal Victoria Dock

Jordan Reynolds, Press Association

14:31, 30 Jun 2026Updated 15:45, 30 Jun 2026

Royal Victoria Dock is stunning

London’s Royal Victoria Dock(Image: Ian Cunliffe / Wikimedia Commons)

A child has died after being pulled out of open water at London’s Royal Victoria Dock. Emergency services were called to reports of a child in the water on Silvertown Way at 4.17pm on Monday, the Metropolitan Police said.

A boy, believed to be 13, was recovered from the water by first responders. First aid was performed but he was pronounced dead at the scene, the Met Police added. His next of kin are aware and are being supported by specialist officers.

A police investigation is under way, the conclusion of which will be passed to the coroner. At this stage there is nothing to suggest the involvement of a third party, police said.

There were no other individuals reported in the water or other reported injuries, the force added.

Royal Victoria Dock is a historic and heavily redeveloped deep-water basin in the London Borough of Newham. Originally opened in 1855 as a major hub for global trade, it is now a waterfront destination featuring water sports, luxury floating hotels and public green spaces.

Detective Superintendent Scott Ware, who leads public protection in north east London, said: “Our thoughts remain with the boy’s family and loved ones as they come to terms with this tragedy. We kindly ask that their privacy is respected.

“We also make a plea to the public to avoid speculation and refrain from sharing distressing material online out of respect for the family and to preserve the investigation.

“Our sincere thanks go to the emergency services and partner agencies involved in the search-and-recovery efforts this evening, as well as members of the public who offered assistance and support.

“This incident is now being investigated on behalf of the coroner and inquiries remain ongoing to establish the full circumstances of what happened.”

Assistant Commissioner Pamela Oparaocha said: “Sadly, a child has drowned following an incident at Royal Victoria Dock.

“Firefighters responded to reports of a child in the water, but despite the best efforts of emergency responders, the child was pronounced dead on scene.

“This is a terrible tragedy and the thoughts of everyone at London Fire Brigade are with the family and loved ones at this difficult time.”

The Brigade was called at 1617 (29/06). Two fire engines and two Fire Rescue Units from Poplar, Plaistow, Bethnal Green and Battersea fire stations attended the scene.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 4.07pm on Monday June 29 to reports of a person in the water at Dock Road, Silvertown.

“We sent resources to the scene including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and paramedics from our hazardous area response team (HART). We also dispatched a trauma team in a car from London’s Air Ambulance.

“Very sadly, despite the best efforts of our crews, a child was pronounced dead at the scene.”

The death of the boy brings the number of people who have died in water-related incidents during the recent hot weather to nine, and is in addition to the 15 who died during the spell of extremely warm weather in May.

On Monday, Greater Manchester Police said the body of a 15-year-old boy had been recovered from open water in Clifton Country Park in Swinton on Saturday.