A senior PSNI officer has disputed claims the police ‘scaled back’ their presence in Moygashel before a replica mosque was placed on a loyalist bonfire.
Assistant Chief Constable Ryan Henderson was responding to claims by UUP Deputy Leader Diana Armstrong that police “reduced” their presence in Moygashel after she expressed concerns.
SDLP Policing Board member Colin McGrath later called on police to clarify their position.
The hate display, which was put in place on Wednesday, was due to be lit on Friday night as part of loyalist July12 celebrations.
However, the pyre and display were set alight after police moved in to remove it on Thursday night.
Two signs were placed on the bonfire reading “secure our borders” and “end the threat of radical Islam”, while a figure holding what appears to be an Isis flag was also added.
A UVF flag was also flown nearby.
Brian Conrad Neill, 56, of Hollow Mills, Newmills, Dungannon appeared in court on Friday charged with incitement.
Earlier this week Ms Armstrong claimed police “reduced” their presence in Moygashel after she expressed concerns.
Ms Armstrong, who is an assembly member for Fermanagh and South Tyrone, said on social media that in “responding to feedback from the Moygashel community” she had spoken to the PSNI.
The senior UUP woman said she “expressed the concerns at the level of policing in previous days”.
She claims that police “confirmed that patrols have been reduced from last night (Tuesday) and that they are engaging with the community in the area”.
The replica mosque was moved into place by loyalists after Ms Armstrong’s intervention and the time she claims the police operation was ‘scaled back’.
Mr Henderson said “police carried out proactive, high visibility patrolling in Moygashel” and other areas “to ensure public safety for all of our communities in the run up to the Twelfth period”.
The senior officer contradicted Ms Armstrong’s claim.
“Throughout the week local police spoke with a number political representatives who relayed that local people were unhappy with the heightened police presence in Moygashel specifically, however whilst we engaged and listened to the concerns, operationally the police presence in the area remained the same,” he said.
Several attempts were made to contact Ms Armstrong but she did not respond.
SDLP Policing Board member Colin McGrath (Liam McBurney/PA)
SDLP Policing Board member Colin McGrath had called on police to clarify their position.
“Given the incidents we have seen at the Moygashel Bonfire in the past, and reporting and the comments of a local MLA this week, the PSNI must confirm whether or not there was a decision taken to scale back its presence in the area in the lead up to this year’s bonfire,” he said.
“The police cannot bow to political pressure, particularly when it comes to something as contentious as this.
“Policing must be free from political interference at all times.”
Police have also faced questions after Jamie Bryson suggested loyalists in Moygashel were ‘tipped off’ by police officers about there movements ahead of Thursday’s failed operation to remove the replica mosque.
ACC Henderson responded to that claim, saying: “Police are aware of claims that bonfire builders were alerted to a ‘police mobilisation’ by members of the emergency services including police. There is no credible evidence to date that this was the case.”
Elsewhere in Moygashel and loyalists have been involved in a tit-for-tat stand-off after a ‘no Muslims welcome’ banner was attached to the fence of a children’s playpark in the village.
In June DUP councillor Clement Cuthbertson demanded “a full explanation” from the PSNI after officers removed the offensive banner.

