Qualifier Oliver Tarvet continued his dream Wimbledon debut with a first-round victory – and he could face defending champion Carlos Alcaraz next.

The 21-year-old San Diego University student is ranked down at 733 but he took full advantage of a wild card into qualifying by winning three matches to earn his place at the All England Club.

And he looked right at home on the lawns of the All England Club, producing an assured performance to claim a 6-4 6-4 6-4 win over fellow qualifier Leandro Riedi from Switzerland.

Instagram

This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.

Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Instagram cookies for this session only.

Enable Cookies
Allow Cookies Once

Tarvet said: “There’s a lot of emotions, [I’m] just really overjoyed. All the hard work I put in the last few years has clearly paid off.

“It’s my first tour-level event, to come out here, come through qualifying, win a first-round match, have a chance to play maybe Carlos on Wednesday, it’s just a dream come true.”

The win is very likely to mean a crack at Alcaraz in the second round – but most of his prize money, which is now a guaranteed £99,000, is set to go unclaimed.

Tarvet is planning to go back to university in the United States for his final year, and the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, which runs college sports, requires players to stay amateur.

Tarvet can claim 10,000 US dollars (approximately £7,300) as well as the expenses he has incurred during the tournament – he joked he would fly his coach over first class to try to ensure he would not have to forfeit too much of the money.

There was no mistaking the joy Tarvet felt at his achievement, though. The St Albans player punched the air with a wide smile plastered on his face after serving out the victory.

Oliver Tarvet celebrates winning his match against Leandro Riedi on day one of the 2025 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tenn

Image:
Tarvet celebrates his win with friends and family

On the prize money issue, he said: “I’ve got to find more and more on expenses by the day. We’ll see. I’m not here for the money, I’m here for the crowd and the experience and just to stamp my mark. I think I’ve done a pretty good job so far.”

Tarvet was the only British player to survive the qualifying tournament, joining 22 other home players in the singles draws, 14 of them wildcards.

Instagram

This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.

Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Instagram cookies for this session only.

Enable Cookies
Allow Cookies Once

Kartal and Fery pull off huge upsets

Arthur Fery celebrates winning his match against Alexei Popyrin on day one of the 2025 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tenni

Image:
Arthur Fery shocked Alexei Popyrin to reach the second round

Sonay Kartal gave Britain’s massed ranks of singles players a great start by ousting 20th seed Jelena Ostapenko, while Arthur Fery defeated men’s 20th seed defeating Alexei Popyrin 6-4 6-1 4-6 6-4.

For Fery, it is by a long distance the biggest victory of his life, with the 22-year-old’s only top-100 win before this coming against then 99th-ranked David Goffin two years ago.

Fery, whose French father Loic owns Lorient football club, was not in the initial batch of wild cards named by the All England Club having seen his ranking drop outside the top 400 because of injury but a strong week at the second-tier Challenger event in Nottingham earlier this month earned him a pass.

He took advantage of it spectacularly to claim a first Wimbledon victory, and he will hope there is more to come with an unseeded opponent up next.

Sonay Kartal celebrates her victory over Jelena Ostapenko on day one of the 2025 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and

Image:
Sonay Kartal shocked 20th seed Jelena Ostapenko to give Brits great start

Ostapenko, meanwhile, a former semi-finalist back in 2018, defeated Kartal in Eastbourne last week in straight sets but the British No 3 delighted the sun-baked crowd on Court Three with a 7-5 2-6 6-2 victory.

The Latvian is a former semi-finalist but, after recovering from 5-2 down in the opening set and saving three set points, the 23-year-old also proved the stronger in the decider.

What an accomplishment

Kartal is the first British player in the Open Era to defeat a former Grand Slam champion in Wimbledon’s women’s singles first round.

24th June 2025: Kartal loses in straight sets to Jelena Ostapenko at the Eastbourne Open.

30th June 2025: The 23 year-old Brit gets revenge and beats Ostapenko at Wimbledon.

Kartal described the match as one of the toughest she had ever played, saying: “Typically I struggle against the big hitters. So to be able to do that, get the win in front of the home crowd, I’m super proud of that one.

“She can go through games, even sets, playing tennis that’s just unplayable. The pace she gets on the ball and the angle she gets off the ball is honestly unreadable at times.

“I knew that was going to happen. I knew it happened last week. I knew I just had to stay with it. If she was going to go on a good run, just not get too down, and know that hopefully I was going to get my opportunity, and when I got the opportunity, to maximise it the most I could.

“I feel confident. I feel like this is the best I’ve ever played on grass. It’s the most confident I’ve also got in my game, as well. I think I’m in a pretty good spot for round two.”

Twitter

This content is provided by Twitter, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Twitter cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.

Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Twitter cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Twitter cookies for this session only.

Enable Cookies
Allow Cookies Once

In the second round, Kartal will face Bulgarian Viktoriya Tomova, who profited from Ons Jabeur’s retirement.

“I wasn’t expecting not to feel good, I’ve been practising pretty well the last few days but I guess these things happen and I’m pretty sad,” said Jabeur.

“It doesn’t really help me with my confidence. I keep pushing myself, even though it was a very tough season for me, so I hope I can feel better and see what’s going to happen.”

Twitter

This content is provided by Twitter, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Twitter cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.

Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Twitter cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Twitter cookies for this session only.

Enable Cookies
Allow Cookies Once

Former British No 1 Cameron Norrie claimed his first win on grass this year with a narrow 6-3 3-6 6-4 7-6 (7-3) victory over Spanish veteran Roberto Bautista Agut.

Norrie rediscovered his form on clay after almost dropping out of the top 100 and will next take on 12th seed Frances Tiafoe.

Billy Harris also progressed. The world No 151 won 6-3 6-2 6-4 against Serbian lucky loser Dusan Lajovic and will face Portuguese Nuno Borges in round two.

Oliver Crawford reacts during his match against Mattia Bellucci on day one of the 2025 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tenni

Image:
Oliver Crawford won the first set before falling to defeat

British wild card Oliver Crawford clinched the opening set on his Wimbledon debut before suffering a 6-7 (2-7) 6-3 6-4 6-4 defeat to Italian world No 73 Mattia Bellucci.

Men’s seeds out of Wimbledon already

Holger Rune

Daniil Medvedev

Francisco Cerundolo

Alexei Popyrin

Stefanos Tsitsipas

Brazilian wonderkid Fonseca overpowers Fearnley

Joao Fonseca during his match against Jacob Fearnley on day one of the 2025 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croqu

Image:
Joao Fonseca made light work of Jacob Fearnley on his Wimbledon debut

Jacob Fearnley’s Wimbledon journey was emphatically halted on day one as teenage sensation Joao Fonseca delivered a devastating 6-4 6-1 7-6 (7-5) display.

Instagram

This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.

Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Instagram cookies for this session only.

Enable Cookies
Allow Cookies Once

Fonseca, at 18 the youngest man in the men’s singles draw and on his Wimbledon debut, used power and variety in his serve and his trademark brutal forehand to overpower 23-year-old Fearnley, who at 51 is ranked three places above the Brazilian.

Watch the ATP and WTA Tours, as well as the US Open in New York, live on Sky Sports in 2025 or stream with NOW and the Sky Sports app, giving Sky Sports customers access to over 50 per cent more live sport this year at no extra cost. Find out more here.