Latest Manchester United transfer news as Antony’s move to Real Betis collapses before deadline dayManchester United winger Antony(Image: ANP via Getty Images)
Antony’s proposed move from Manchester United to Real Betis is in fresh doubt following a statement from the Spanish club withdrawing their offer, which had reportedly been accepted.
Antony was one of a handful of United players who were told their future lied elsewhere ahead of the new season. They trained aside from Ruben Amorim‘s main squad whilst trying to organise exits from Old Trafford before Monday’s transfer deadline.
The Brazilian winger, who enjoyed a productive second half of last season on loan with Betis, has not moved yet and is cutting it close to do so.
The La Liga club showed willingness to bring him back to Spain after he scored nine goals and registered five assists across 26 appearances.
Negotiations had been ongoing all summer whilst Antony was also linked to other clubs, however BBC Sport claim United had finally accepted an offer from Betis and a deal was on its way to completion.
However, the Spaniards have pulled the plug in a major twist to the saga. They released a subsequent statement, saying: “Betis has retired its offer. Betis cannot afford a transfer fee, nor the amounts the player is supposed to receive.”
Before this Antony was said to be close to flying out on Friday night to conclude a medical for the move. Now everything is on hold with little over two days to find a resolution.
Some small reprieve for United is that whereas the window for Premier League clubs to complete signings is 7:00pm on Monday, September 1, La Liga sides have until 11:00pm.
Betis boss Manuel Pellegrini had spoken only just last week about his desire to reunite with Antony. He said: “We all know that Antony was very good here, we want Antony with us, Antony wants to return no doubt.
“But we also need the owner, which is Manchester United, to make a decision.”
Betis central defender Natan had also claimed Antony was “waiting” for the transfer to be agreed, which is still the case at this late hour.
Here at The Manchester Evening News, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.
Make sure you don’t miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.
You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day’s biggest stories.
And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast, featuring The Samuel Luckhurst Show and The Midweek Debate. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.