Police are trying to identify those caught by a hidden camera in the wake of Colin Smyth MSP being arrested and charged with possession of indecent images.South of Scotland MSP Colin Smyth(Image: Jim McEwan)
At least five MSPs along with several journalists and staff have been contacted by police over alleged secret toilet recordings in Parliament.
Detectives have begun interviewing people already identified in footage understood to be from a covert camera hidden in a cubicle in the Holyrood building.
So far officers have identified at least five parliamentarians, as well as one journalist and several other staff members.
The Sunday Mail can reveal all those identified are male and were captured by the device allegedly concealed in a small men’s loo opposite the main Holyrood chamber.
The facilities have just two cubicles and are only for parliamentary pass holders.
The revelation comes after MSP Colin Smyth was arrested and charged with possession of indecent images. He faces allegations of planting a hidden camera in the loos at Holyrood.
Colin Smyth(Image: Getty Images)
Police raided his Dumfries home and seized electronic devices, before arresting and charging the MSP, 52, on August 5. He is due at Dumfries Sheriff Court at a later date.The married dad – who has been suspended by Labour – denies the allegations.
A source told the Sunday Mail officers were working to identify those caught on camera while using the toilet.
They said: “Some MSPs have already been interviewed about it. They had to confirm it was them in the footage.
“They are still going through it all as there could be people who they can’t identify for whatever reason in the films as their faces aren’t visible.
“It could be that some people are never identified if they’re not well-known public figures and can’t be identified by police.
“It’s hardly something you can ask others to look at and see if they know who people are.”
Join the Daily Record WhatsApp community!
Get the latest news sent straight to your messages by joining our WhatsApp community today.
You’ll receive daily updates on breaking news as well as the top headlines across Scotland.
No one will be able to see who is signed up and no one can send messages except the Daily Record team.
All you have to do is click here if you’re on mobile, select ‘Join Community’ and you’re in!
If you’re on a desktop, simply scan the QR code above with your phone and click ‘Join Community’.
We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like.
To leave our community click on the name at the top of your screen and choose ‘exit group’.
If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
Sources said between eight and 10 people have been identified by police so far. Meanwhile Parliament chiefs are under fire after taking weeks to revoke Smyth’s access to Holyrood, despite the charges.
A Parliament spokesman said it wasn’t until three days after his arrest that police made them aware of images potentially taken at Holyrood. They said the identity of the person being investigated was not disclosed to them and to date they have no confirmation these lines of inquiry relate to Smyth.
It was on August 20, that the Parliamentary authorities say they became aware of the charges in relation to the possession of indecent images against Smyth when the story appeared in the media.
The camera was hidden in the Scottish Parliament.(Image: Getty Images)
Smyth’s access was revoked after our sister paper the Record approached them to ask about the allegations of a spy camera.
In the 23 days between Smyth being charged and having his pass revoked, he did visit Parliament with constituents at least once.
MSPs and staff have asked why Holyrood chiefs didn’t take action earlier to block Smyth from Parliament if they knew from August 8 about the potential for a hidden camera.
One MSP said: “If I was told someone had been alleged to have planted a camera in a toilet and it had recorded countless people, the first thing I’d do is ask who is thought to have done this and at least temporarily suspend their access. If necessary the whole building should have been locked down while searches were done and we should have been notified.
“Obviously we do not know at this stage what has gone on, it’s all allegations. But to protect the users of the building they should have taken action straight away. Now it looks as if they’ve been forced into doing something because the media has got hold of the story. It’s appalling.
“My staff are extremely concerned about this as well. They’ve lost confidence in the ability of the chief executive to keep them safe and frankly, to tell the truth without it being forced out of them.”
Alison Johnstone, Holyrood presiding officer(Image: Andrew Milligan/PA Wire)
The Sunday Mail asked the Parliament exactly when officials were told about a spy camera, and how many times Smyth had visited Parliament since August 5.
A spokesman said: “On August 8, Police Scotland made the parliamentary authorities aware of images potentially taken at Holyrood. The identity of the person being investigated was not disclosed to us and to date we have no confirmation that these lines of inquiry relate to Mr Smyth.
“Any action the Scottish Parliament Corporate Body takes regarding Mr Smyth must be based on verified information.
“On August 20, the parliamentary authorities became aware of the charges in relation to the possession of indecent images against Mr Smyth when the story appeared in the media. On the recommendation of officials, the SPCB took the decision on August 28 to deactivate Mr Smyth’s parliamentary pass.
“This decision was in response to Mr Smyth having been charged with the possession of indecent images.”
On the reason for the delay in deactivating Smyth’s pass, the spokesman said: “Members are not employees of the Parliament and no mechanism exists to facilitate the immediate removal of their access to Parliament in these circumstances.
“The SPCB took an immediate decision to deactivate the pass on Thursday following recommendations from officials.
“Its decision was based on a full risk assessment and the balancing of a range of duties and responsibilities placed on it.”