Bus drivers and passengers across Merseyside are dealing with anti-social behaviour that is getting “worse and worse” according to a senior union officialliverpoolecho

00:01, 22 Feb 2026

Arriva double decker buses

Arriva double decker buses(Image: John Davidson/Marianna Longo)

The lives of bus drivers and passengers are in danger in Merseyside according to a trade union official. The ECHO has reported extensively on a wave of anti-social behaviour this year that has led to the cancellation of Arriva and Stagecoach services in several areas.

Arriva North West announced via X at 8.21pm on Tuesday, February 17 that no services would be stopping at Halewood Bus Station, which consists of several stops on Leathers Lane within the Halewood Shopping Centre complex, due to anti-social behaviour.

A spokesperson for Merseyside Police said that at around 7.10pm, a large group of youths on bikes were throwing eggs, stones and bricks at a bus while it was moving on Leathers Lane.

The disruption came just three days after buses were halted amid further incidents at the site, also involving a group of youths, who allegedly prevented buses from passing through the terminus and verbally abused a driver.

Back in January, two teenagers were arrested after another large gang of youths set the top deck of a bus, parked outside Morrisons in Speke, on fire before assaulting the driver.

The ECHO has also reported on similar incidents in Bootle and Stockbridge Village.

Now Mike Woods, who represents bus drivers in his role as regional officer for Unite the Union in the north west passenger sector, has said lives are being put at risk as the issue continues to escalate.

Buses heading to Halewood Shopping Centre have been suspended on two occasions in the last month

Buses heading to Halewood Shopping Centre have been suspended on two occasions in the last month(Image: Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)

Mr Woods, who used to be a bus driver, is increasingly concerned. He told the ECHO: “Anti-social behaviour in this sector, it’s nothing new.

“However, I’ve had a lot of interaction with Arriva and Stagecoach, especially Arriva because that’s what it’s affecting currently. They’re telling me that it’s got worse and worse. When I look at the stats, it’s getting worse and worse. The point I want to get across is simple.

“We’ve got the traveling public, they’re at risk clearly, but from a trade union perspective, virtually every driver that drives one or more of these routes on a daily basis are Unite members and I’m not prepared to put my members at risk to be potentially fatally injured.

“These individuals that are causing this issue, they’re causing it not only for the traveling public, for the service, but also they’re putting a massive dent in their community because it’s only them that’s suffering.

“I’m working alongside Anneliese Midgley, who’s the MP for Knowsley. We’ve seen a massive, massive issue with regards to the way it’s affected our constituents etc.

“But in terms of things getting worse, we’ve had bricks put through windows, we’ve had drivers struck in the past, we’ve had passengers struck in the past.

An empty bus stop on Western Avenue in Speke after services were suspended in the area last month

An empty bus stop on Western Avenue in Speke after services were suspended in the area last month(Image: Liverpool Echo)

“Whoever they are (that is doing this), they are potentially going to kill somebody. That’s what’s going to happen. But if you strip it all back, we’ve got an array of services that are being cancelled and they’re being cancelled due to a minority of people.”

Mr Woods says the job of a bus driver is becoming far tougher due to these incidents. He said: “If you go into Green Lane or any of the depots on Merseyside and speak to drivers that run these routes that are privy to anti-social behaviour and strip it all back, bus driving in the grand scheme of things isn’t an easy job any more.

“But what doesn’t help is that you’ve now got to scan bushes and various hazards along the way to try and combat any sort of negative incident. It’s not right.

“I am working closely with the MP in Knowsley to try and launch a campaign to try and combat it. I’d like to see more interaction from the Merseyside Police and Liverpool City Region Combined Authority to try and combat it, but ultimately, we can only dilute it. It’s a national issue.

“I drove buses for almost 30 years. I understand the dynamics of what goes on and it’s been happening for years and years. The thing that I will say is there is a clear trend in Merseyside as to when it’s happening.

The ECHO has previously received reports that bus drivers from Arriva are “left on their own” to deal with these incidents, but Mr Woods was reluctant to criticise the company’s approach.

He said: “I don’t want to put the blame on Arriva. I know that their first priority is protecting the public, so you can’t blame them for pulling services if that sort of behaviour is happening.

“By pulling the service, (they are) protecting the traveling public and protecting the employee. What other option have they got?”

An empty bus stop in Stockbridge Village shopping parade, which services the 12 and 13 routes, after services were suspended in the area earlier this month

An empty bus stop in Stockbridge Village shopping parade, which services the 12 and 13 routes, after services were suspended in the area earlier this month(Image: LDRS)

Richard Hoare, area director for Arriva North, said: “We are aware of further anti-social behaviour at Halewood bus station, which led to the temporary suspension of services to protect the safety of our customers and drivers.

“Safety is our absolute priority. Our drivers are there to operate services safely and professionally. Where criminal or anti-social behaviour takes place, it is a matter for the police.

“When incidents occur, our drivers and their managers are instructed to follow a clear safety procedure and that is to avoid certain areas if there is a risk.

“We recognise the impact that anti-social behaviour can have on our staff, our communities and on people who rely on bus services. We don’t take decisions to suspend services lightly, but we will always act robustly to protect our staff and customers.

“We continue to work closely with Unite the Union, as well as Merseyside Police and the Combined Authority to report incidents and seek appropriate action.”

When the ECHO approached Stagecoach, we were referred to the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT).

Alison Edwards, director of policy and external relations at the CPT, said: “There are 82,000 bus drivers in Britain providing a vital public service.

“They deserve to work free from physical or verbal aggression. Anti-social behaviour is, regrettably, a fact of life in some communities and the bus industry is not immune.

Arriva buses at the Merseyside bus depot on Green Lane in Old Swan

Arriva buses at the Merseyside bus depot on Green Lane in Old Swan(Image: Andrew Teebay Liverpool Echo)

“Operators take this very seriously – almost all buses have CCTV fitted to identify and catch offenders. And the industry works closely with the police, and local authorities, on enhanced patrols and public campaigns to ensure the safety of passengers.

“The bus industry has also been working on broader training for drivers in how to handle incidents on board buses while keeping themselves, and passengers safe.

“Training, for example, on tackling violence against women and girls on board buses will be rolled out to bus drivers across the country this year.”

MP Anneliese Midgley has previously spoken about the issue in a letter released earlier this month and the issues people in Stockbridge Village faced getting home with suspended bus services.

In a further update, she told the ECHO: “It’s good news that Arriva have fully reinstated the 12 and 13 bus services for residents in Stockbridge Village.

“Loads of people contacted me to tell me how disruptive the buses stopping at 6pm was affecting their ability to get to work, school, medical appointments and to maintain important family and social connections.

“I have been in frequent touch with Unite the Union – who represent the bus drivers. As a trade unionist the safety of the bus drivers and passengers is paramount for me. No one should go to work and be unsafe or have to deal with abuse.

Both bus drivers and passengers have raised that there are instances of serious anti-social behaviour on the routes. We must get to grips with it so these buses can reliably serve the people of Stockbridge Village.

“Unite have experience of what has worked before in similar situations, including in Manchester. I have a meeting set up with Unite and some of their reps for the route to discuss this.

“I will work closely with the union, the bus drivers, the combined Authority and the police so we can tackle this once and for all. This is a public service, it is essential so that it serves the public where both passengers and staff can feel safe while using it.”

Anyone with information on antisocial behaviour in their area is asked to contact Merseyside Police social media desk via X @MerPolCC or on Facebook ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’.

You can also report information via the website: Report a crime | Merseyside Police or call 101.

Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, or via their website here: Giving information | Crimestoppers. In an emergency always call 999.

Ensure our latest news and what’s on headlines always appear at the top of your Google search by making us a preferred source. Click here to activate or add us as a preferred source in your Google search settings.