Your support helps us to tell the story
From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.
The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.
Your support makes all the difference.Read more
Tom Holland is teasing his future as Spider-Man after a decade in the iconic superhero role.
The 29-year-old British actor — who has played Peter Parker since 2016 film Captain America: Civil War — hinted in a recent interview that he is willing to help eventually pass the franchise on to a worthy successor.
“For whoever’s next, whether that is a Miles Morales or a Spider-Gwen or a Spider-Woman or something like that, I would love to be a part of setting up the next chapter,” Holland said in an interview with Empire published Friday.
He continued: “Whatever that looks like, I don’t know. But if I could do what [Robert Downey Jr.] did for me, then I would be so content swinging off into the sunset.”
Downey Jr., who played Iron Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, introduced Holland’s Spider-Man to the universe in Civil War. Holland went on to headline three Spider-Man films and appear in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.
Tom Holland is hinting at his future plans to retire from playing Spider-Man (Getty Images)
Tom Holland has played Spider-Man since 2016 (Disney/Sony)
Holland has not publicly indicated any plans to officially retire from Hollywood, but he previously said that he plans to quit acting when he starts a family.
After the iconic role of Spider-Man was taken on in previous iterations of the films by actors Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, Holland will become the first Spider-Man actor to headline four solo movies with his return to the beloved character in Brand New Day, in theaters July 31.
He told Empire that the new movie is the first Spider-Man film where he was invited to join the writers’ room, and that he met with execs every two weeks to pitch ideas and speak about the future of the franchise.
Tom Holland and Zendaya have starred in four Spider-Man movies together (Getty)
“My pitch when I came to the table with it was called ‘Spider-Puberty.’ What happens if Peter Parker is losing control and things are changing?” he told the outlet. “’Spider-Puberty’ was my tagline pitch to the studio — which was immediately shot down. But they liked the kernel of the idea and it grew into what we have in the movie now.”
Holland previously described the new film as “the most emotional Spider-Man movie yet” and “the most grown up.” Also starring Zendaya, Jacob Batalon and newcomer to the franchise Sadie Sink, Brand New Day is set five years after the events of the previous film, Spider-Man: No Way Home, which ended with Parker living in a universe where his loved ones do not remember him.
Holland and Zendaya, who are engaged, will also appear together in Christopher Nolan’s The Odyssey, which opens July 17.