Ninja swords will be illegal from August 1stKnife crime continues to be a major issue across the region Knife crime continues to be a major issue across the region (Image: Copyright Unknown)

It is a national epidemic from which, sadly, Greater Manchester has seen the tragic consequences too often. Knife crime is an almost daily occurrence in both the city centre and the suburbs.

Manchester has some of the highest rates of knife possession crime in the country, startling new figures revealed in January this year.

In the last three years, the equivalent of one in every 275 people living in Manchester was caught carrying a blade, the statistics show.

That put the city in sixth place in the country in terms of highest knife carrying offences per population – with a rate of 36 crimes for every 10,000 people living there.

Knife crime remains a major scourge on the streets of Greater Manchester Knife crime remains a major scourge on the streets of Greater Manchester (Image: PA)

In September last year, in a bid to tackle the scourge of knife crime, ‘Zombie-style’ knives and machetes which meet certain criteria were banned under new laws. It followed years of campaigning by the loved ones of those whose lives have tragically been cut short by stabbings across the country.

UK first mobile surrender van to visit region

Today, Greater Manchester Police will launch a month-long initiative to persuade the public to hand in potentially lethal weapons. The force has been given a government-funded “surrender bin” as part of a national scheme to reduce knife crime and remove ninja swords and other dangerous weapons from the streets.

The UK’s first mobile surrender van will visit Wigan and Rochdale, allowing residents to safely and anonymously hand knives in without having to set foot in a police station.

Zombie knives - made illegal in September 2024.Zombie knives – made illegal in September 2024. Image by Sean Hansford

People can drop dangerous and large bladed weapons into the bins and van, including ninja swords, which will be illegal to own from August 1.

Over 13,000 knives have been surrendered in Greater Manchester since the scheme was introduced in 2019.

The bin, provided by surrender charity Words4Weapons, in collaboration with the Home Office, is located at Queen Street, Pemberton, Wigan, WN5 0BL. It can be used by people to anonymously hand in all types of bladed weapons.

Local residents will also have the opportunity to hand their knives into a mobile surrender van, which will be at Darnhill Library & Community Café, Argyle Parade, OL10 3RY (9.30am – 12.30pm) and Riverside, Smith Street Car Park, Rochdale, OL16 1XU (2pm – 6pm) on 3 July and Market Street, Wigan Town Centre, WN1 1PE (9am – 12pm) and Home Bargains, Bradshawgate, Leigh, WN7 4NP (2pm – 6pm) on 4 July with anti-knife crime campaigner and CEO of Faz amnesty, Faron Paul, onboard.

A poster promoting this month's national knife amnesty.A poster promoting this month’s national knife amnesty which GMP is taking part in.

Knives can be safely and discreetly handed into the purpose-built and fully secure van without giving any personal information.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Thompson, of GMP’s knife crime team, said: “Sadly, we have all seen the devastation knife crime has caused on our streets. Every life lost to violence is one too many and the impact doesn’t just impact those directly involved, the consequences of knife crime ripples through communities.

“GMP is committed to doing all we can to stop knife crime and as such we are fully supportive of the Home Office’s campaign. If you have a knife, but you do not feel comfortable handing it in at a police station, I urge you to take advantage of the bin and van while they’re here. One less knife on the streets is one more that cannot be used to commit violence.”

Kate Green, Deputy Mayor for Safer and Stronger Communities, said: “Knife crime ruins lives and every knife surrendered is one less weapon that could cause harm in our communities.

Ninja swords will be illegal from August 1st.Ninja swords will be illegal from August 1st.

“I encourage anyone who has a dangerous weapon in their home, or knows someone who does, to take this opportunity to hand it in with no questions asked. The new knife surrender bins and the UK’s first amnesty van make it even easier for people to do the right thing.”

Faron Paul, Faz amnesty founder, said: “This is about building communities, reducing violence, building trust, and making Greater Manchester safer and stronger. Big thanks to local authorities and organisations supporting this work in our communities.”

As part of the national surrender scheme, there is a limited compensation offering for ninja swords handed in ahead of the ban on 1 August. Any members of the public wishing to surrender a ninja sword in exchange for compensation will need to safely take the weapon to one of the designated police stations.

Locations to hand in bladed weapons this month in Greater Manchester.Locations to hand in bladed weapons this month in Greater Manchester.

Members of the public who own ninja swords after 1 August will be breaking the law and could face time in prison.

To report someone who is carrying or hiding a knife, contact the police via LiveChat at www.gmp.police.uk, or by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Young people can also pass on information anonymously to Fearless, part of Crimestoppers, by calling 0800 555 111 or by visiting www.fearless.org. There is also lots of help and support available on the website.