He was left in ‘waking coma’ by a racist attack aged just 18Marlon Thomas  and Vernon Walker, April 2002Marlon Thomas and Vernon Walker, April 2002(Image: Bristol Live)

The family of a man left in a ‘waking coma’ after a racist attack that shocked the nation 31 years ago is hosting his 50th birthday party this weekend, in an event that is open to the public. The community in St Pauls and Easton are expected to come together to celebrate the landmark birthday of Marlon Thomas, with a host of DJs and a sound system.

The event is taking place on Saturday, August 16, from 6pm to midnight at the Rose Green Centre in Whitehall. Marlon’s family said they were ‘happy and excited’ to announce the birthday celebrations for Marlon, who was just 18 when he was left paralysed by the attack back in 1994.

“We are happy and excited to announce Marlon Thomas’ 50th birthday celebration event, to be held at the Rose Green Centre on Saturday,” a family statement said. “The event is open to the public from 6pm for all who wish to join us in celebrating Marlon’s 50th birthday with him.

“Music will be supplied by Unique Star Sound System, and filmed by Clive Smith from As It Is TV. There will be free food served, prepared by professional caterers Rogers Caribbean, and event decorations are by Bow Tie Event Planners,” they added.

Marlon was 18 when he was one of a large number of young Black people attacked by staff at a funfair on the Downs in late March 1994. A gang of funfair workers, including members of the Birmingham-based Bob Wilson’s Fair family, armed themselves with baseball bats, hammers, spanners, iron bars, wrenches and pieces of wood, prowling the fairground and the darker areas surrounding the Downs, looking for young Black teenagers, and battering any they could find.

Around 20 were injured, five were hospitalised and Marlon was left for dead, suffering catastrophic head and chest injuries. He stopped breathing but his life was saved by bystander Vernon Walker, who administered CPR until paramedics took over and brought him back to life.

Marlon Thomas before the attack in 1994(Image: Bristol Live)

But Marlon was left in a coma, and when he did wake up, he was unable to move or speak. The case shocked Bristol, and Britain, coming a year after the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence in London back in 1993.

Unlike Marlon, Stephen’s life was not saved, and his attackers were not initially brought to justice – highlighting the institutionally racist police force in London that did not properly investigate the murder of an innocent teenager waiting for a bus.

READ MORE: Marlon Thomas: Family of Bristol’s ‘Stephen Lawrence’ speak out 25 years on from racist attackREAD MORE: Marlon Thomas: New music released to mark 30th anniversary of attack which left Bristol man in ‘waking coma’

In Bristol, the police did bring Marlon’s attackers to court, and they were jailed. The judge in the case described Marlon’s condition as a ‘living death’. Marlon can now, more than 30 years on, communicate through blinking – this ‘waking coma’ has continued for the rest of his life so far.

His 50th birthday will be a point of celebration for family, friends and supporters, but also one tinged with sadness at the life he had stripped from him.

There is still a ‘Justice for Marlon Thomas’ campaign, his story kept alive by family and friends through music, campaigns and events like his 50th birthday.

How the Bristol Post covered the tenth anniversary of the attack on Marlon ThomasHow the Bristol Post covered the tenth anniversary of the attack on Marlon Thomas(Image: Bristol Live)

Those jailed for attacking him and others on the Downs that night received prison sentences that shocked the city in their leniency – many had served their jail terms before Marlon was even discharged from hospital.

Since then, Marlon and his family have battled with the city council and health authorities to make sure he has the best level of care possible – he needs two carers, 24 hours a day, and said they have had to ‘battle the system’ for years.