Arne Slot plays down Liverpool’s need for another forward before the transfer deadline passes as the Alexander Isak transfer saga continues at NewcastleLiverpool head coach Arne Slot speaks at today's press conferenceLiverpool head coach Arne Slot speaks at today’s press conference

Arne Slot says he is not desperate to add to Liverpool’s attacking ranks before the transfer deadline passes on September 1, insisting he has enough options without moving for Newcastle United’s Alexander Isak.

The Reds have opted to move Darwin Nunez and Luis Diaz on during this window and also sanctioned the £25m sale of Ben Doak to Bournemouth that was confirmed last week.

Hugo Ekitike joined from Eintracht Frankfurt for a fee that could potentially rise to £79m last month after a club-record agreement of £116m was struck for attacking midfielder Florian Wirtz in June from Bayer Leverkusen.

READ MORE: Eddie Howe makes fresh claim over Alexander Isak transfer situation – ‘we certainly can’t’READ MORE: Alexander Isak alternatives considered as Liverpool transfer deadline set for Plan B

Liverpool also saw an offer of £110m turned down by Newcastle for Isak earlier this month and the Sweden international striker has gone on strike in an effort to force through his dream move, with the Magpies’ hierarchy so far standing firm in their resistance.

Slot says he has more than enough coverage up top, despite the bid for Isak at the beginning of the month and speaking ahead of Monday’s trip to St James’ Park, where the wantaway frontman won’t be involved, he says the Premier League champions’ won’t be panicked into a decision.

“It depends how you want to look at it,” Slot said. “If you want to add Florian Wirtz as an attacking option then you can make it five.

“So yeah, we’ve sold Darwin and brought in Hugo. Lucho (Diaz) has gone, you can maybe see Florian as a replacement for that. And, yes, we all know what happened to Diogo (Jota).

“If you look at it like this, maybe we haven’t [got enough] but Jeremie Frimpong, when he is fit, is definitely an option to play as a winger as well, so then we end up at six forwards. I think I said it already, we have six players that can play in three positions. That is the answer, yes, I’m happy.”

Slot also hinted that Germany star Wirtz could be utilised as a ‘false 9’ on Tyneside in the manner that Curtis Jones was last season in the 2-0 win at Manchester City and 2-2 draw at Aston Villa, which both came in February.

Slot added: “Could Wirtz play up top? He could do yes. I would consider him for more games in that position but there were games last season – Man City and Aston Villa away – where we did play with an extra midfielder like Curtis Jones.

“But it depends not only on bringing in an extra midfielder but it depends on tactics, how they line up, all these kinds of things. He is already an option to play as a left winger and he can be an option for the upcoming game. Cody Gakpo played a good game against Bournemouth as well.”

The game on Monday night has threatened to be overshadowed by the Isak saga that has dominated the agenda in recent weeks. The 25-year-old cited a thigh injury to keep him off the Magpies’ pre-season tour of Far East last month and he hasn’t trained with his colleagues since.

On Tuesday he released an explosive statement via social media demanding to be sold after claiming promises had been broken and trust had been lost, but Slot doesn’t feel as though the relationship between Liverpool and Newcastle has been damaged by the situation.

“I don’t know,” Slot said. “The only manager I have ever texted with is Eddie Howe in the Premier League. In Holland a few more but after the League Cup final, we did exchange a few messages.

“So if I will see him, I will be the same as I was last year and I expect nothing different from him as well. If you are [talking] on a higher level, then I have no clue. For me, it is still the same relationship with him.”