It’s been a long two and a half years for the teenager’s family

15:36, 20 Nov 2025Updated 16:10, 20 Nov 2025

Eddie's mum, Irene Muthemba, and brother, Elliot, sit on the memory bench within Eddie King Park.Eddie’s mum, Irene Muthemba, and brother, Elliot, sit on the memory bench within Eddie King Park.(Image: PAUL GILLIS / Reach PLC)

Tributes have been paid to Eddie King Kinuthia, who was killed in Bristol almost two and a half years ago, and to his family and friends, for their ‘amazing courage and resilience’, in dealing with shock, grief and loss, and then the delays in their long road to get justice.

Eddie was just 19 when he was stabbed to death in a brutal attack near his home in St Pauls back in July 2023, in a crime that shocked the city. Now, after a man was finally convicted of his murder, the police who worked to bring his killer to justice have spoken about Eddie, and the family that supported their efforts.

“Eddie Kinuthia was a young man of 19 with his whole life ahead of him,” said DCI Mark Almond, the man who led the inquiry that has now seen Zacharia Talbert-Young convicted. “He was somebody who had a real passion for music, he was a talented musician. He was also interested in cooking and he certainly had plans for the future. He was also somebody who was well-liked, well-known, well-loved in his community, so it’s been a big loss for Irene and the rest of Eddie’s family,” he added.

Eddie’s large family have been dealing with the tragedy ever since the fateful bang on the door of his home, as neighbours alerted his mother Irene to the horrific attack just around the corner on that night of July 21, 2023. They clung to each other at a vigil in the Grosvenor Road park in the days after his death, as balloons were released and prayers were said.

In the weeks and months that followed, it became apparent that there was not going to be a speedy resolution to the case. The man who attacked Eddie dressed in black and masked, appeared apparently out of nowhere, and disappeared back into the summer’s night just as stealthily.

READ MORE: ‘The look on his face is seared into my soul’ says mum of murdered Eddie, a year after his deathREAD MORE: Fundraising event celebrates Eddie Kinuthia two years after he was killed

Police told the family they knew who they suspected was behind the attack, but it was a different matter proving it. A year on, and several arrests had not led to charges. Eddie’s mum Irene spoke emotionally, with the support of Eddie’s aunt Jade, of the night he was stabbed, and what it has been like since, knowing that his killers were still out there.

She appealed for the mothers of those involved to talk to her, and for people who knew about the crime to come forward.

“It’s helpless, it’s hopeless, it’s frustrating,” she said, fighting back the tears. “I am clutching at anything really, with the hope that it’s not going to take forever to find who did this.

Eddie King Muthemba Kinuthia, who was fatally stabbed in a park in BristolEddie King Muthemba Kinuthia was fatally stabbed in a park in Bristol(Image: PA Media)

“And I think that I put so much on the fact that these people who did this also have families. Surely somebody would know. If they do know and they would try to put the world right. And you really do want somebody to take responsibility for this,” she added.

That appeal was to mark the first anniversary of Eddie’s death. On the second anniversary, earlier this year, a fundraising dinner and music event was held to celebrate Eddie’s life – sharing his two passions, cooking and making music.

READ MORE: Bristol park renamed in honour of teen fatally stabbed – in pictures

At the start of 2025, a park and children’s playground just around the corner from Eddie’s house was renamed in his honour.

Now, at the end of the trial that revealed what happened to Eddie, the police said the family’s support has been invaluable.

“It’s been a challenging time for them,” said DCI Mark Almond. “It’s taken us over two years to get to where we are today, there have been several points during the course of the investigation where people have been dismissed via judges, which we respect as the police, but also have sympathy for Irene and her family in that regard.

“I want to express my thanks to Irene and Jade and the rest of Eddie’s family because throughout this investigation, they have supported us, they have shown confidence in us, and they’ve also dealt with everything with amazing courage and resilience,” he added.