{"id":964957,"date":"2026-05-16T17:56:22","date_gmt":"2026-05-16T17:56:22","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/964957\/"},"modified":"2026-05-16T17:56:22","modified_gmt":"2026-05-16T17:56:22","slug":"rupert-lowe-confirms-restore-britain-will-field-candidate-in-makerfield-by-election-to-take-on-andy-burnham-and-reform-uk","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/964957\/","title":{"rendered":"Rupert Lowe confirms Restore Britain will field candidate in Makerfield by-election to take on Andy Burnham and Reform UK"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Rupert Lowe has confirmed that Restore Britain will field a candidate in the Makerfield by-election.<\/p>\n<p>The party aims to take on Andy Burnham and Reform UK, who are set to go head-to-head in the Manchester constituency.<\/p>\n<p>If Mr Burnham is successful in the by-election, it is expected he will challenge Sir Keir Starmer in a leadership contest.<\/p>\n<p>Mr Lowe has not confirmed the Restore Britain candidate. <\/p>\n<p>Taking to X this afternoon, Mr Lowe said: &#8220;Restore Britain will be standing a candidate in the Makerfield by-election. <\/p>\n<p>&#8220;There is overwhelming demand from our local members to do so, and I entirely agree. <\/p>\n<p>&#8220;Our campaign has already started, and we aim to win thousands and thousands of votes. <\/p>\n<p>&#8220;More news very soon.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" id=\"adfca\" data-rm-shortcode-id=\"08a4952d4999a0b3a989ddc19d47bc13\" data-rm-shortcode-name=\"rebelmouse-image\" class=\"rm-shortcode rm-lazyloadable-image \" lazy-loadable=\"true\" src=\"data:image\/svg+xml,%3Csvg%20xmlns='http:\/\/www.w3.org\/2000\/svg'%20viewBox='0%200%205000%203334'%3E%3C\/svg%3E\" data-runner-src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/rupert-lowe.jpg\" width=\"5000\" height=\"3334\" alt=\"Rupert Lowe\"\/><\/p>\n<p>Rupert Lowe has confirmed that Restore Britain will field a candidate in the Makerfield by-election<\/p>\n<p> | <\/p>\n<p>GETTY<\/p>\n<p>Labour MP Josh Simons announced he will resign from the seat to give the Greater Manchester Mayor a pathway to return to Westminster and potentially challenge for the national Labour leadership.<\/p>\n<p>The Party&#8217;s National Executive Committee opted against blocking Mr Burnham&#8217;s candidacy.<\/p>\n<p>The NEC, the Labour Party&#8217;s governing body, previously blocked Mr Burnham from contesting the Gorton &amp; Denton by-election in February, citing concerns about the 56-year-old vacating his metro mayor position.<\/p>\n<p>The Greater Manchester Mayor will now need to put his name forward to stand as Labour&#8217;s Makerfield candidate.<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" id=\"8430a\" data-rm-shortcode-id=\"b216ce41aa3c37f599705e9844f8b1bd\" data-rm-shortcode-name=\"rebelmouse-image\" class=\"rm-shortcode rm-lazyloadable-image \" lazy-loadable=\"true\" src=\"data:image\/svg+xml,%3Csvg%20xmlns='http:\/\/www.w3.org\/2000\/svg'%20viewBox='0%200%202000%201334'%3E%3C\/svg%3E\" data-runner-src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/1778954181_729_andy-burnham.jpg\" width=\"2000\" height=\"1334\" alt=\"Andy Burnham\"\/><\/p>\n<p>The party aims to take on Andy Burnham and Reform UK<\/p>\n<p> | <\/p>\n<p>GETTY<\/p>\n<p>Applications will close on May 18, with the selection process concluding on May 21.<\/p>\n<p>A Labour Party spokesman said: &#8220;Labour&#8217;s ruling body, the National Executive Committee has today given permission to Andy Burnham to stand in the candidate selection process in the forthcoming by-election for the Makerfield constituency.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>The People&#8217;s Channel has been told by Labour sources that the Government will announce next week on the timetable for the Makerfield by-election.<\/p>\n<p>Labour MPs have already been voicing their endorsement of Mr Burnham as the challenger to Sir Keir, with former health secretary Wes Streeting calling him one of the &#8220;best players on the pitch&#8221;.<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" id=\"90894\" data-rm-shortcode-id=\"92acb5fef355e3f47f1160e9cc7fc586\" data-rm-shortcode-name=\"rebelmouse-image\" class=\"rm-shortcode rm-lazyloadable-image \" lazy-loadable=\"true\" src=\"data:image\/svg+xml,%3Csvg%20xmlns='http:\/\/www.w3.org\/2000\/svg'%20viewBox='0%200%202000%202800'%3E%3C\/svg%3E\" data-runner-src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/1778954182_707_andy-burnham.jpg\" width=\"2000\" height=\"2800\" alt=\"Andy Burnham\"\/><\/p>\n<p>If Mr Burnham is successful in the by-election, it is expected he will challenge Sir Keir Starmer in a leadership contest<\/p>\n<p> | <\/p>\n<p>GETTY<\/p>\n<p>He said: &#8220;We need our best players on the pitch. There is no doubt that Andy Burnham is one of them. The Makerfield by-election will be tough. Votes will need to be earned. Andy is the best chance of winning and that should override factional advantage or propping up one person.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>Reform UK has yet to announce its candidate.<\/p>\n<p>At the beginning of this month, Restore Britain achieved a perfect 100 per cent success rate by winning all 10 seats it contested in the local elections.<\/p>\n<p>The party successfully denied Reform UK the three extra seats it required to take majority control of Norfolk County Council, leaving the local authority in a state of No Overall Control. <\/p>\n<p>Following the results, leader Rupert Lowe announced intentions to field Restore Britain candidates nationwide in future local and general elections.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Rupert Lowe has confirmed that Restore Britain will field a candidate in the Makerfield by-election. The party aims&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":964958,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[5018,3,4],"tags":[113921,748,393,4884,528,2465,12,1144,285,386,712,16,3106,15,1764],"class_list":{"0":"post-964957","1":"post","2":"type-post","3":"status-publish","4":"format-standard","5":"has-post-thumbnail","7":"category-britain","8":"category-uk","9":"category-united-kingdom","10":"tag-across-the-uk","11":"tag-britain","12":"tag-england","13":"tag-great-britain","14":"tag-labour-party","15":"tag-manchester","16":"tag-news","17":"tag-northern-ireland","18":"tag-politics","19":"tag-reform-uk","20":"tag-scotland","21":"tag-uk","22":"tag-uk-politics","23":"tag-united-kingdom","24":"tag-wales"},"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@uk\/116585548026378997","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/964957","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=964957"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/964957\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/964958"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=964957"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=964957"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=964957"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}