{"id":966051,"date":"2026-05-17T06:13:16","date_gmt":"2026-05-17T06:13:16","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/966051\/"},"modified":"2026-05-17T06:13:16","modified_gmt":"2026-05-17T06:13:16","slug":"the-secret-about-andrew-the-royal-family-wont-admit","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/966051\/","title":{"rendered":"The secret about Andrew the Royal Family won\u2019t admit"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>While <a class=\"post_in-line_link\" href=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/topic\/king-charles-iii?ico=in-line_link\" id=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/topic\/king-charles-iii\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">King Charles<\/a> may have stripped his brother, <a class=\"post_in-line_link\" href=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/topic\/prince-andrew?ico=in-line_link\" id=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/topic\/prince-andrew\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor<\/a>, of his titles and publicly distanced himself from his brother, in truth, royal experts believes the king will never be able to entirely ditch the former prince, and in private, will always support him. <\/p>\n<p>The monarch has been keen to separate himself from his brother, as the extent of <a class=\"post_in-line_link\" href=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/words-haunt-andrew-interview-first-met-epstein-4395661?ico=in-line_link\" id=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/words-haunt-andrew-interview-first-met-epstein-4395661\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">the former Duke of York\u2019s ties to paedophile Jeffrey Epstein emerges<\/a>.<\/p>\n<p>Andrew was stripped of his royal titles and duties in October, and left the 30-room Royal Lodge mansion in Windsor earlier this year. <\/p>\n<p>The King\u2019s brother now lives in a smaller, five-bedroom residence at Marsh Farm on the Royal Family\u2019s Sandringham estate in Norfolk.<\/p>\n<p>\u2018Charles hasn\u2019t cut Andrew off\u2019<\/p>\n<p>Andrew is guarded by a team of ex-police protection officers paid for privately by the King, rather than through the taxpayer-funded Sovereign Grant, The i Paper understands.<\/p>\n<p>But a <a class=\"post_in-line_link\" href=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/andrew-threatened-balaclava-man-sandringham-4404660?ico=in-line_link\" id=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/andrew-threatened-balaclava-man-sandringham-4404660\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">recent security scare<\/a> \u2013 a man was charged with allegedly threatening Andrew while he was walking his dog \u2013 has raised fresh questions about just how much backing he receives in his so-called \u201cexile\u201d.<\/p>\n<p>Carpet and flooring experts were seen at the grounds in March <a class=\"post_in-line_link\" href=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/andrews-luxury-home-renovations-fine-art-portacabin-staff-4314085?ico=in-line_link\" id=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/andrews-luxury-home-renovations-fine-art-portacabin-staff-4314085\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">as part of renovation works for the former prince<\/a>. A firm specialising in transporting fine art was also spotted at the farm.<\/p>\n<p>Royal observers said the King would try to maintain this stance \u2013 publicly distant while privately supportive \u2013 as long as possible.<\/p>\n<p><img fetchpriority=\"high\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" height=\"477\" width=\"760\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/SEI_280882474-e1768554660763.jpg\" alt=\"Marsh Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk which is believed to be Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's next home. Picture date: Thursday January 15, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Joe Giddens\/PA Wire\" class=\"wp-image-4174188\"  \/>Andrew has moved to Marsh Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk (Photo: Joe Giddens\/PA)<\/p>\n<p>Norman Baker, author of a book about the monarchy\u2019s finances, Royal Mint: National Debt, said: \u201cCharles wants to be seen as having cut Andrew off. But he hasn\u2019t cut him off.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\u201cHe\u2019s giving him somewhere to live and he is paying for security, as far as we can tell,\u201d added the former Lib Dem minister. \u201cHe\u2019s making sure Andrew has a reasonably comfortable lifestyle \u2013 far more comfortable that most of the country.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Baker said the Royal Family appeared to want Andrew\u2019s new life at Marsh Farm to be a \u201cpermanent arrangement\u201d.<\/p>\n<p>Palace still \u2018hoping the problem will go away\u2019<\/p>\n<p>Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested by Thames Valley Police earlier this year over allegations he passed sensitive information to Epstein while serving as UK trade envoy. He was released under investigation and denied wrongdoing.<\/p>\n<p>Thames Valley Police is assessing allegations that Epstein procured a woman to travel to Windsor for \u201csexual purposes\u201d involving Mountbatten-Windsor in 2010. Andrew has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.<\/p>\n<p>Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams thinks arrangements at Marsh Farm were as \u201cas good as can be managed\u201d. The royals will hope Mountbatten-Windsor stays quiet and doesn\u2019t give the impression he leads a \u201ccushy lifestyle\u201d there, he said.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cNobody will want to change things,\u201d Fitzwilliams added. \u201cIt will depend on whether any new information [about Andrew] comes out in the coming months.\u201d<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" height=\"507\" width=\"760\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/SEI_286265941_b6a79a.jpg\" alt=\"FILE - Britain's Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo\/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)\" class=\"wp-image-4254756\"  \/>Andrew has kept a low profile since Epstein emails were published last year (Photo: Kirsty Wigglesworth\/AP)<\/p>\n<p>Andrew Lownie, author of Entitled: The Rise and Fall of the House of York, said the King will want to keep protecting his brother at Sandringham for as long as possible.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThey want to keep it as business as usual,\u201d said the biographer. Lownie called it \u201cthe worst royal crisis in 500 years\u201d, but said the Palace was still \u201choping the problem will go away\u201d.<\/p>\n<p>In keeping with the questions surrounding Mountbatten-Windsor, Charles, on his way to the State Opening was confronted by protesters with placards asking: \u201cWhat did you know?\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Public opinion <\/p>\n<p>Andrew\u2019s approval ratings have been dire since the Epstein connection came to light. <\/p>\n<p>Some 90 per cent of the British public have an unfavourable view of him, a February YouGov survey found.<\/p>\n<p>Yet the King appears to have avoided any knock-on damage, so far. Some 38 per cent of Britons think the Royal Family have handled the Andrew \u201csituation\u201d well, with only 26 per cent saying it had been badly handled, according to a Ipsos poll in February.<\/p>\n<p>It remains to be seen if further damage could be done to the royals if further allegations arise relating to Andrew. <\/p>\n<p>Although polling has remained steady overall, in terms of younger Britons, only 37 per cent of 18-24-year-olds have a positive of Charles. <\/p>\n<p>It is with the younger generation where Prince William, the heir to the throne, has looked to present the monarch in a more modern light. It is widely viewed that William would have gone further in the separation from Andrew.<\/p>\n<p>Fitzwilliams thinks William would have liked to have \u201cgone further, faster\u201d when it came to stripping Andrew\u2019s titles and views \u201cthe whole York brand as bad news\u201d.<\/p>\n<p>But is unclear whether he would want to remove Beatrice and Eugenie\u2019s titles. \u201cWhat happens to them and their titles when William ascends the throne is another issue,\u201d said the commentator.\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>Why Beatrice and Eugenie \u2018have one foot in the family\u2019<\/p>\n<p>There are also questions about how long the King can maintain an uneasy distance when it comes to Andrew\u2019s daughters \u2013 who have kept their royal titles and privileges.<\/p>\n<p>Emails released by the US Department of Justice indicate <a class=\"post_in-line_link\" href=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/not-good-look-fergie-life-austrian-ski-chalet-4362404?ico=in-line_link\" id=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/not-good-look-fergie-life-austrian-ski-chalet-4362404\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">Sarah Ferguson<\/a> took her daughters to visit Epstein in Florida in July 2009, shortly after his conviction for soliciting a minor for prostitution.<\/p>\n<p>The non-attendance of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie at this year\u2019s Royal Ascot was viewed as part of the process of distancing from the House of York.<\/p>\n<p>Yet Charles also offered his congratulations to Eugenie on her pregnancy, with the announcement that she is expecting her third child coming from the Palace.<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" height=\"455\" width=\"760\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/SEI_285957321.jpg\" alt=\"LONDON, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 14: Princess Beatrice of York and Princess Eugenie of York attend the officially party celebrating Vogue World: London 2023 at George Mayfair on September 14, 2023 in London, England. (Photo by David M. Benett\/Dave Benett\/Getty Images)\" class=\"wp-image-4293821\"  \/>The non-attendance at Ascot of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie is viewed as part of a distancing from the House of York  (Photo: David M Benett\/Dave Benett\/Getty Images)<\/p>\n<p>Dr Craig Prescott, a constitutional expert at Royal Holloway, University of London and author of Modern Monarchy, said it was \u201cas a sign of support\u201d that \u201cthey still have one foot in the Royal Family\u201d.<\/p>\n<p>The Charity Commission revealed earlier this week it is investigating spending at a charity co-founded by Eugenie in 2017, the Anti-Slavery Collective. It is understood the move does not represent a statutory inquiry or that the commission has made any conclusions. <\/p>\n<p>MPs on the public accounts committee are set to probe arrangements at <a href=\"https:\/\/committees.parliament.uk\/committee\/127\/public-accounts-committee\/news\/210753\/pac-publishes-royal-lodge-correspondence-announces-new-inquiry-into-crown-estate\/\" id=\"https:\/\/committees.parliament.uk\/committee\/127\/public-accounts-committee\/news\/210753\/pac-publishes-royal-lodge-correspondence-announces-new-inquiry-into-crown-estate\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">Crown Estate residences leased to royals<\/a> \u2013 including Beatrice and Eugenie\u2019s homes at St James\u2019 Palace and Kensington Palace.<\/p>\n<p>Charles will be reluctant to cut Beatrice and Eugenie off<\/p>\n<p>It follows outrage after it emerged Andrew had paid only a <a class=\"post_in-line_link\" href=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/500k-to-leave-windsor-and-no-rent-for-years-the-mysteries-of-andrews-finances-3990638?ico=in-line_link\" id=\"https:\/\/inews.co.uk\/news\/500k-to-leave-windsor-and-no-rent-for-years-the-mysteries-of-andrews-finances-3990638\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener\">\u201cpeppercorn rent\u201d for the Royal Lodge mansion for more than 20 years<\/a>.<\/p>\n<p>Despite all the scrutiny ahead, the King will be reluctant to cut the princesses off, Dr Prescott added. \u201cIt would be very hard for them to lose the connection with the Royal Family.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Dickie Arbiter, who served as royal press secretary under Queen Elizabeth between 1988 and 2000, said it would be unfair to judge the princesses based on Andrew and Sarah\u2019s ties to Epstein.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThey remain royals, even if they are not working royals,\u201d he said. \u201cI don\u2019t see that changing. They don\u2019t appear to have done anything wrong.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe don\u2019t know whether they are paying for accommodation [at St James\u2019 Palace and Kensington Palace]. They might well be paying for it,\u201d Arbiter added.<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" height=\"821\" width=\"760\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/SEI_266403523.jpg\" alt=\"LONDON, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 16: King Charles III, Prince William, Prince of Wales and Catherine, Princess of Wales attend the funeral of The Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England. Katharine, Duchess of Kent was married Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, the first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. She died on September 4 at the age of 92 at Kensington Palace surrounded by her family. Having converted to Catholicism in 1994, her funeral takes place at Westminster Cathedral and is the first Catholic funeral to be held for a member of the royal family in modern British history. Her Royal Highness will be laid to rest at the Royal Burial Ground at Frogmore, Windsor. (Photo by Samir Hussein\/WireImage)\" class=\"wp-image-4245066\"  \/>Many believe that William had wanted to go further in the expulsion of Andrew from the Firm (Photo by Samir Hussein\/WireImage)<\/p>\n<p>Fitzwilliams also said they would remain \u201cin the fold\u201d of the Royal Family. \u201cIf you want to remove them you would have to have very good reasons.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\u201cIt would be very unpleasant and awkward,\u201d added the royal commentator. \u201cThere is still a feeling that the sins of the parents shouldn\u2019t be visited upon them.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Baker is in favour of removing Beatrice and Eugenie\u2019s titles and residences \u2013 but not because their parents are \u201cdiscredited\u201d. It is time for a smaller monarchy, said the ex-minister.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cCharles supposedly wants a slimmed-down monarchy, but he just wants fewer people standing on the balcony,\u201d said the author. \u201cHe doesn\u2019t actually want to slim down costs.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Buckingham Palace declined to comment. Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie\u2019s offices were contacted for comment. The Anti-Slavery Collective has also been approached for comment. <\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"While King Charles may have stripped his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, of his titles and publicly distanced himself from&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":966052,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[7708],"tags":[173775,2204,518,5105,7710,519,448,7717],"class_list":{"0":"post-966051","1":"post","2":"type-post","3":"status-publish","4":"format-standard","5":"has-post-thumbnail","7":"category-royals","8":"tag-andrew-mountbatten-windsor","9":"tag-jeffrey-epstein","10":"tag-king-charles-iii","11":"tag-royal","12":"tag-royal-families","13":"tag-royal-family","14":"tag-royals","15":"tag-sarah-ferguson"},"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@uk\/116588447385478124","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/966051","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=966051"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/966051\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/966052"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=966051"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=966051"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/uk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=966051"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}