Some of the California National Guard members sent to Los Angeles last month in response to immigration enforcement protests are being released from the mission, authorities said Tuesday.
In a statement, U.S. Northern Command said 150 members of the federalized National Guard assigned to protect federal properties and personnel in Los Angeles will be released more than three weeks after arriving at the order of the Trump administration. About 4,100 National Guard troops and 700 Marines were activated in Los Angeles with the first Guard members arriving June 8 after protests over immigration enforcement operations in Los Angeles and the LA County community of Paramount.
The release of the Guard members comes a day after the Associated Press reported that the top military commander in charge of the task force troops asked whether 200 could be returned to wildfire fighting duty, two U.S. officials told the AP. National Guard members perform a variety of duties, including helping to prevent and fight wildfires through Joint Task Force Rattlesnake.
“At the recommendation of Gen. Gregory M. Guillot, Commander, U.S. Northern Command, and approved by the Secretary of Defense, Task Force 51 will release approximately 150 members of the California National Guard from the Federal Protection mission today,” U.S. Northern Command said in a statement. “USNORTHCOM and Task Force 51 are still appropriately sourced to conduct our Federal Protection Mission.”
Activation of the National Guard in response to the immigration enforcement protests drew opposition from local and state leaders, including Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass. The Guard is usually activated by the governor at the request of local leaders.
NBC4 legal analyst Royal Oakes looks ahead to what’s next in the faceoff between California and the Trump administration. Video broadcast Friday June 20, 2025 on Today in LA.
The dispute led to an ongoing legal battle between California and the Trump administration, which claimed “there has been an invasion” of migrants entering the country without legal permission.” Last month, a three-judge panel said the White House likely lawfully exercised its authority when President Trump federalized the National Guard without the governor’s consent.
The appeals court panel’s ruling halted a lower court judge’s decision that found President Trump illegally activated the troops. Guard members remain in LA as California’s lawsuit against the administration continues to unfold in the courts.
California has argued that use of the National Guard in LA diverted necessary state resources because Guard members help fight forest fires, stop drug trafficking and protect against cyber threats. Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass have said the troop presence was necessary and local law enforcement could handle the situation.
The Guard members have been stationed at federal properties, primarily outside a federal detention center in downtown LA, with local law enforcement responding to violence that broke out in downtown LA during mostly peaceful immigration enforcement operation protests.
More than 3,290 wildfires that burned 97,000 acres have been reported since the start of the year in California, where hillsides are covered in dry brush as the state enters the hot summer months. Last year at this time, Cal Fire reported 2,887 wildfires that burned more than 67,100 acres.
The state’s five-year average for that time period is 3,191 wildfires and 36,000 acres burned.