HUMBOLDT PARK — Body-camera footage released Friday by the city’s police watchdog agency appears to show a Chicago police officer threatening to kill a fleeing driver seconds before firing six shots into his passenger side window and killing him.

The March 9 shooting in the 800 block of North Homan Avenue killed 42-year-old Derek Jordan, who was spotted driving a car that was wanted in connection to another shooting earlier that day on the Eisenhower Expressway near Oak Park, according to police.

The fatal shooting happened after police officers from the 11th District were trying to pull over Jordan for the previous shooting, according to the Civilian Office of Police Accountability and the initial police statement. Jordan attempted to flee from officers, hitting a pedestrian in a crosswalk and driving down an alley until he was blocked by a CTA bus that was stopped perpendicular to the alley.

Body-camera footage released Friday depicts an officer and his partner arriving on the scene and pulling out his gun as he approached Jordan, whose car was boxed in by the bus and a police car stopped behind him. Officers repeatedly yell for Jordan to get out, but he attempts to drive off and strikes both the bus, police vehicle and a car parked on Homan Avenue, video shows.

“Get out of the f—ing car, I’ll kill you,” the officer who opened fire yells as other officers bang on the car’s tinted windows. Within 19 seconds of arriving on the scene, the officer fires six shots through the passenger window after the driver reversed his car and struck a police vehicle behind him. The driver briefly turned his front wheels away from the officer before the shots were fired, according to video released.

The officer is heard repeatedly screaming to “get out of the car” after shots are fired before another officer says, “I see his head” and a third officer opens the passenger car door.

Bystanders are seen in some of the video, and one man watching says, “Please, don’t shoot, man.”

“He’s wanted for murder. Shut the f— up,” the shooting officer responds as others break his car window to check on Jordan, video shows.

Jordan was struck multiple times in his upper body and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said. Two officers were also taken to the hospital in good condition after reporting minor injuries during the incident, according to the police report released by the watchdog agency. A weapon was found on scene.

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability, which investigates all incidents where police use deadly force, released the video and other materials related to the shooting Friday.

Warning: footage may be considered graphic

Antonio Romanucci, Jordan’s family attorney, called the shooting unnecessary and was due to the officer’s “failure to de-escalate.”

“Video does not lie. When you watch the footage of the encounter between Derek Jordan and CPD officers, it is clear that there was nowhere Derek could run or drive away to. They had him surrounded,” Romanucci said in a statement. “At that point, stepping back and de-escalating was the right thing for officers to do. They had time and space to control the situation, but instead they escalated it and used a level of force that was not needed in that situation.”

Romanucci’s firm also represented George Floyd’s family and it is currently representing the family of Renee Good, who was fatally shot in January by a federal immigration officer in Minneapolis. Romanucci’s firm has opened a civil investigation into the Humboldt Park police shooting and the earlier Eisenhower Expressway shooting, he said in the statement.

“We are distressed by the lack of respect shown for the life of this individual, but also for the lack of adherence to accepted policing protocols,” Romanucci’s statement continued.

Days after the shooting, Jordan’s family demanded answers to the police narrative that led to the shooting and said they wished to remember him as a father, cousin, uncle and friend, according to Fox 32 Chicago.

The Tribune previously identified the officer who shot Jordan as Max Walzer, citing department representatives and public records. Walzer was relieved of his powers four days after the shooting but “remains active and detailed to the Alternate Response Section,” a department spokesperson said Monday.

Illinois State Police, who investigate shootings on local interstates, did not immediately return a request for comment. The agency told the Sun-Times Monday that it would not comment on any connections between the shootings but that its investigation into the highway shooting “has been administratively closed.” No one was injured in the Eisenhower Expressway shooting, according to the Sun-Times.

Following its investigating, the Civilian Office of Police Accountability will issue a final summary report of the incident that could include a recommendation on discipline for the officers involved.

Support Freedom of the Press

Independent journalism like this only exists because of readers like you. This World Press Freedom Day, help Block Club raise $20,000 to fuel high-impact investigations that hold Chicago’s institutions and leaders accountable. Make your tax-deductible donation here.

Listen to the Block Club Chicago podcast: