The brother of a firefighter engineer who was shot to death by a colleague at the Los Angeles County Fire Department’s Agua Dulce station in 2021 has reached a settlement in a lawsuit originally filed against the county by his parents.
An attorney for Bent Carlon filed court papers with Chatsworth Superior Court Judge Gary Micon on Wednesday notifying than an “unconditional” accord in the case was reached a day earlier.
No terms were divulged.
Carlon’s brother, Tory Carlon, was working at Station No. 81 on Sierra Highway on June 1, 2021, when 45-year-old Jonathan Patrick Tatone, who also was a firefighter engineer, went to the station while off duty and an argument ensued, authorities said. Tatone subsequently shot Tory Carlon, who later died, along with Los Angeles County Fire Department Capt. Arnie Sandoval, who survived.
Tatone left for his Acton residence, which he set afire before shooting himself to death.
Brent Carlon became the plaintiff in the wrongful death suit brought against the county by his parents, Larry and Bonnie Carlon, who both died while the case was in litigation.
A separate lawsuit was filed against the county in January 2022 by Heidi Carlon, who was married to the late 44-year-old Tory Carlon; her adult daughter, Joslyn Carlon; and Heidi Carlon’s two other daughters, who are minors. Heidi Carlon and her children previously reached settlements with the county and the Tatone estate.
Heidi Carlon recently submitted a sworn declaration supporting the county’s claim that her former parents-in-law did not receive economic support from her late husband. Specifically, at no time while Tory and Heidi Carlon were married did Larry and Bonnie Carlon count on their son Tory and his wife for the necessities of life, including shelter, clothing, food, medical treatment or utilities, according to Heidi Carlon.
Heidi Carlon, and not Tory Carlon’s parents, were the beneficiaries of his life insurance proceeds when he died, the widow said while adding that she objected to “ongoing efforts by Brent Carlon to obtain a financial recovery based on Tory’s death, which prevents my daughters and me from putting this litigation behind us and obtaining a sense of closure.”
Of the two adult claimants, Heidi Carlon settled previously for $4.4 million and Joslyn Carlon for $991,500.