{"id":1027532,"date":"2026-08-27T14:25:19","date_gmt":"2026-08-27T14:25:19","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/1027532\/"},"modified":"2026-08-27T14:25:19","modified_gmt":"2026-08-27T14:25:19","slug":"the-hillcrest-theatre-when-movies-came-to-uptown-in-1913","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/1027532\/","title":{"rendered":"The Hillcrest Theatre: When movies came to Uptown in 1913"},"content":{"rendered":"<p><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/debbiesklar.wordpress.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/hillcrest-1.jpg?ssl=1\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/hillcrest-1.jpg\" alt=\"\" style=\"aspect-ratio:1.6449609375;width:811px;height:auto\"\/><\/a>Hillcrest Theatre, 1955, showing \u201cCrazyhorse.\u201d The theater at 3825 Fifth Ave. opened in 1913 and later became the Guild Theatre.<br \/>(Photo and caption info courtesy of the San Diego History Center)<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">If you lived in Hillcrest in 1913, going to the movies no longer meant heading to downtown.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">A movie house had arrived in the neighborhood.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Hillcrest Theatre opened May 10, 1913, at 3825 Fifth Ave., becoming the first film theater built in San Diego outside downtown, according to <a href=\"https:\/\/cinematreasures.org\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Cinema Treasures.<\/a> <\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The San Diego History Center also dates the theater to 1913 and records its later history under several names. <\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Its arrival reflected how quickly Hillcrest was developing.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"https:\/\/www.findagrave.com\/memorial\/59334833\/william-wesley-whitson\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">William Wesley Whitson<\/a> purchased 40 acres of undeveloped land in 1906 and filed a map for the Hillcrest Subdivision that year. The following year, he formed the Hillcrest Co. and opened a sales office at Fifth and University avenues to promote the new development. <\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Whitson, who had served as San Diego County\u2019s first coroner, is widely recognized as the founder of Hillcrest. The Hillcrest Co. began subdividing the tract, installing streets and curbs, and constructing homes as the neighborhood took shape.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">By 1909, the company was actively developing the neighborhood, and within a few years Hillcrest had begun filling with homes, schools and businesses. In 1913, the Hillcrest Theatre and a general store were among the businesses serving the growing community.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/debbiesklar.wordpress.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/whitson.jpg?ssl=1\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/whitson.jpg\" alt=\"\" style=\"width:811px;height:auto\"\/><\/a>William Wesley Whitson. (Photo and captin info courtesy of the San DIego History C enter)<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The city of San Diego\u2019s Uptown Historic Context notes that 1913 was an important year for Hillcrest. The Hillcrest Theater was built, University Avenue and Washington Street were paved, and Nelson\u2019s Dry Goods, Hillcrest\u2019s first dime store, opened on Fifth Avenue.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/timesofsandiego.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/6853.jpg?ssl=1\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img loading=\"lazy\" data-recalc-dims=\"1\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"683\" height=\"400\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/6853.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-397593\" style=\"aspect-ratio:1.7074609375;width:811px;height:auto\"  \/><\/a>Fifth Avenue looking north across Robinson, 1929. The busy commercial corridor reflects the Hillcrest neighborhood during the era when the Hillcrest Theatre was operating. The History Center\u2019s own photographic essay identifies the image exactly as \u201cFifth Avenue looking north across Robinson in 1929\u201d and assigns it photo #6853. (Photo and caption info courtesy of the San Diego History Center)<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Another city document similarly notes that in 1913, the Hillcrest Theater and a general store began serving the growing community.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The theater did not have an uninterrupted run.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The San Diego History Center records that the Hillcrest closed in 1917 and reopened in the 1930s under the Fox chain. Cinema Treasures says Fox West Coast Theatres operated it for about two decades.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The theater eventually took on a new identity.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/timesofsandiego.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Hillcrest-street-scene-1969.jpg?ssl=1\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img loading=\"lazy\" data-recalc-dims=\"1\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"443\" height=\"461\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Hillcrest-street-scene-1969.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-397597\" style=\"aspect-ratio:0.9609531234111786;width:811px;height:auto\"  \/><\/a>Hillcrest stret scene and sign 1969. (Photo and caption info courtesy of the San Diego History Center)<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">It was renamed the Guild Theatre on Nov. 17, 1961, and became an art-house theater. By the 1970s, it was showing adult films. Landmark Theatres took over in 1978, after which the theater returned to art-house programming.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">That change came as Hillcrest itself was evolving.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/timesofsandiego.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Hillcrest-1975-street-scene.jpg?ssl=1\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"460\" height=\"314\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Hillcrest-1975-street-scene.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-397594\" style=\"aspect-ratio:1.465041054988803;width:811px;height:auto\"  \/><\/a>Hillcrest street scene  c. 1975. (Photo and caption info courtesy of the San Diego History Center)<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The neighborhood had become an important commercial center, and by the 1970s it was undergoing a major social and cultural transformation. The San Diego History Center describes the neighborhood\u2019s transformation during that decade, while the city of San Diego\u2019s historic context identifies the theater as one of the neighborhood\u2019s early commercial landmarks.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Guild remained at 3825 Fifth Ave. for decades. By the 1990s, the theater was known for art-house movies and late-night screenings, including The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It closed in 1997, the same year the nearby historic Park Theatre also closed.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The theater building was demolished in 2002 and replaced by a new structure with a facade designed to simulate the appearance of the original. The charming interior and historic details, however, were gone.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">What makes the old Hillcrest Theatre worth remembering isn\u2019t simply that Hillcrest once had a movie house.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">It was part of the neighborhood\u2019s early transformation.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 1913, Hillcrest was gaining businesses, improved streets and gathering places that allowed residents to find more of what they needed close to home. The theater was one of those early additions.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Over the decades, the name changed, the movies changed and eventually the theater itself disappeared as did the neighborhood.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">But the story began on Fifth Avenue in 1913, when Hillcrest got its own place to go to the movies.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/timesofsandiego.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Hillcrest-medical-center-1984.jpg?ssl=1\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"433\" height=\"364\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Hillcrest-medical-center-1984.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-397598\" style=\"aspect-ratio:1.1895685769478428;width:811px;height:auto\"  \/><\/a>UCSD Medical Center \u2013 Hillcrest \u2013 aerial \u2013 1984. (Photo and caption info courtesy of the San Diego History Center)<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\" id=\"h-sources\">Sources:<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">San Diego History Center  Early San Diego Theaters.<br \/>San Diego History Center  Photographic Essay of Hillcrest. <br \/>City of San Diego  Uptown Historic Context. <br \/>City of San Diego Uptown Community Plan.<br \/>Cinema Treasures. <br \/>Guild Theatre \/ Hillcrest Theatre.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Hillcrest Theatre, 1955, showing \u201cCrazyhorse.\u201d The theater at 3825 Fifth Ave. opened in 1913 and later became the&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":3,"featured_media":1027533,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[5134],"tags":[410946,5229,1582,276,7720,410947,472,53,3549,7264,67,586,132,5230,17008,68,2969],"class_list":["post-1027532","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-san-diego","tag-410946","tag-america","tag-ca","tag-california","tag-hillcrest","tag-hillcrest-theatre","tag-history","tag-movies","tag-san-diego","tag-sandiego","tag-united-states","tag-united-states-of-america","tag-unitedstates","tag-unitedstatesofamerica","tag-uptown","tag-us","tag-usa"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@us\/117167939067291014","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1027532","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/3"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=1027532"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1027532\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/1027533"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=1027532"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=1027532"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/us\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=1027532"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}