Jeffrey Archer: Best-selling author and former politician dies aged 86

—
donteatmybiscuits

25 comments
  1. “Suddenly” and “peacefully” don’t really seem compatible with each other.

  2. And convicted of perjury and perverting the course of justice.

  3. Saw a headline it was going to be his last novel. He didn’t lie this time I guess

  4. I remember his libel case where the judge said he couldnt have possibly gone with a call girl because his wife was so delightful – such was the state of the establishment at the time.

  5. In defence of the realm, I propose some amendments:

    >Jeffrey Archer: Best-selling author and **disgraced** former politician dies aged 86.

    >His last book, **”**Adam and Eve,**”** is set to **be** release**d** this month.

  6. Wow, the BBC were doing a rehabilitating interview with him just a couple of days ago

  7. I remember that footage of him trying to cheat and jump the gun three times during a university sprint. Not the last time he cheated.

  8. The next edition of Private Eye will be interesting…

  9. There are many a Tory that look back on that golden era with tears in their eyes.

  10. Ironically my old school’s most famous alumni despite the fact he tried to pretend to attend the far more famous Wellington College in Berkshire lol. Dunno why the old boys network still invited him as a guest speaker in the past despite his crime and shame of attending our school etc.

  11. I enjoyed his prison diaries. Rest in peace, your old scoundrel.

  12. Oh well, at least that’s one bit of good news for the day then.

  13. He was on radio broadcasting house just yesterday saying he absolutely wasn’t going to retire because his last book was out 

  14. I loved ‘Kane and Abel’ and ‘First among equals’. I was about fifteen though and amongst my first ‘proper’ books so always had a soft spot for the fact that he wrote something that entertained me for so many nights.

  15. Does anyone remember him in The Verdict – he was one of the jurors? I have vague memories of it

  16. The prick’s prick.

    I guess he must have uttered he was going to live forever earlier this afternoon.

  17. He was foolish with the whole preventing course of justice, but he served his time and made some books.

    If he moved on, took pride in his novel writing and was a supportive grandfather then that’s good enough I think for him. I never cared much for him but hadn’t wished him a lifetime of misfortune either.

  18. Fantastic author and entertained me for hours over the years. Will be missed

  19. “There’s no beginning to your talents.”

    – Clive Anderson

  20. Private Eye will be writing about Gyles Brandeth who also interviewed him recently and his form for deaths of the interviewee days later. Harry Seacombe fell down his stairs and died seconds after the call.

  21. One of the first authors I read. Kane and Able and As the Crow Flies were books I read about age 13 or 14 and I was enthralled by them.

    Obviously a not great human being but a good author.

  22. I didn’t think he was a particularly nice person but I loved some of his books when I was younger.

  23. I remember the result of his trial in July 2001 being texted out on the brand new “BBC Text” service to our phones and the office went into total meltdown lol It was the first time we’d had instant news. Normally you had to wait for rolling news channel or the bbc website to announce it but the texts were instant. It was quite a day.

  24. He once sat opposite me on a train and ate a pot of chocolate mousse with his fingers. Unusual.

Leave a Reply